Senior Scholars Honored in PBK

By Abby D. Phillip, Crimson Staff Writer

One hundred and sixty-two men and women from the graduating class of 2008 were joined by proud parents in Sanders Theatre yesterday to participate in the 218th Literary Exercises of Harvard’s Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha and Iota Chapter.

These students represent Harvard’s best and brightest—juniors and seniors are invited to apply only if their cumulative grade point average is one of the highest in their field of study.

Each year along with the induction of exemplary undergraduate students, the chapter awards honorary memberships to distinguished members of the faculty and the broader academic community.

The ceremony featured readings from poet and Washington University professor Carl Phillips ’81 and an oration from University of Texas physicist Steven Weinberg.

Phillips, a classics concentrator from Cabot House, returned to his alma mater to present his unpublished poem, “Night.”

“He has an exquisite ear and a gift for matching the complications of life with the complications of art,” said English professor Helen Vendler who recommended Phillips to give the reading at yesterday’s event.

The poet introduced his work by saying that it will speak for itself but advised the seniors that “ambition is rarely realized without belief in oneself.”

By contrast, Weinberg offered a provocative contribution to the program.

His oration, entitled “Without God,” addressed the “weakening of religious beliefs” brought on by the advance of science over the centuries.

Weinberg met the heavy subject matter halfway by delivering his words with an edge of lightheartedness.

“It was delightful to see that they were willing to invite someone to speak on something that is so obviously controversial,” said Christopher H. Van Buren ’08, a Phi Beta Kappa inductee.

Joseph F. Busa ’08, a social studies concentrator from Quincy House, said that the entire program, beginning with the Glee Club’s performance of “Sanctus” and ending with the College hymn “Fair Harvard,” seemed anachronistic.

“It was such a mish mash of modern angst,” he said. “I love it.”

Physics professor Howard Georgi ’68, who is also president of the Harvard Phi Beta Kappa chapter said that he knew Weinberg’s talk would be thoughtful and not offensive to the audience.

“It was a challenging, honest and fascinating talk, whether you agreed with it or not,” he said in an e-mail yesterday.

“The only change we made after seeing the title was to eliminate the Chaplain from the service.”

—Staff writer Abby D. Phillip can be reached at adphill@fas.harvard.edu.