Harvard Medical School Outlines New Research Expansions

University-wide science committee also calls for creation of bioengineering program

By Clifford M. Marks and June Q. Wu, Crimson Staff Writers

Harvard Medical School released a slew of committee reports last week as part of its strategic planning process, outlining significant expansions in areas like neuroscience and calling for the creation of a bioengineering program.

The seven reports have yet to receive approval from administrators, and officials in both Harvard's central administration and at the Medical School level were hesitant to discuss prospects for approval or implementation.

But the positive reception from Medical School Dean Jeffrey S. Flier suggests that the proposals will likely receive crucial backing from top administrators. Flier announced that the release of the white papers concludes the first phase of his strategic planning process launched last October, as the reports lay the groundwork for “prioritization and detailed planning” in the fall.

The most detailed and substantial of the seven reports called for the creation of a University-wide bioengineering initiative. The report was commissioned by the Harvard University Science Engineering Committee (HUSEC), which is tasked with funding and approving cross-school science initiatives.