Boloco Hands Out Free Burritos, Celebrating 10th Anniversary

Harvard students and passersby stop in for a free burrito (or two) at Boloco yesterday in celebration of the restaurant chain’s 10th anniversary.
By Yuying Luo, Contributing Writer

Boloco was busier than usual yesterday as the restaurant handed out free burritos to Harvard students and area residents in celebration of its 10th anniversary.

The lunchtime hubbub featured a mix of Boloco first-timers and regulars.

News of the free burritos depended upon word-of-mouth advertising. During the day the line didn’t get longer than a dozen people out the door, but around dinnertime, the crowd grew substantially.

Donnarae’Vernay Wade ’10 was among the regulars who braved the longer-than-usual wait. The Dunster House resident said she eats Boloco burritos “all the time.”

“It’s gotten to the point where they know my name and what I’m ordering,” she said with a laugh.

She added that one of the reasons for her repeat visits is the restaurant’s convenient location on Mt. Auburn Street.

“It’s on my way to class, to work, and on the way home.”

A. Noelle Bloomfield ’12 said that Boloco’s variety will be a reason for her to come back in the future.

“It’s giving Chipotle a run for its money,” she said.

But Bloomfield’s roommate, Julia M. van der Vink ’12, said she remained unconvinced about Boloco’s superiority.

“It’s tough,” she said. “It’s definitely up there, but I have to remain loyal to Chipotle. I do appreciate the free burrito though.”

Boloco boasts 14 locations, with 12 in the Boston area.

Israel Martinez, the general manager of the Harvard Square location, acknowledged the increasing competition for burrito restaurants in the Square, but he said that Boloco’s quality distinguishes it from its competitors.

“The way we prepare food is different. There are no additives. The way you taste the food is the way it’s meant to be tasted,” Martinez said.

Susan Norton, the area manager for Boloco, said the giveaway was “our way of reaching out to new customers and also thanking our regulars.”