Humor Can Wait

•
You know you <3 Purell.
You know you <3 Purell.

Through the haze of early October midterms, you might have noticed some snarky posters popping up around campus this week. Or perhaps a friend of yours has adopted a Facebook profile picture that’s looking suspiciously like a political statement. So what the hell are these posters anyway?

They’re part of the Harvard College Democrats’ recently launched “Five Things You Can Do for Health Care Reform” campaign, and they’re designed to raise awareness of the problems with the modern health care system.

So are they just what the doctor—or Max Baucus—ordered? Find out FlyBy's take after the jump.

Poster 1: "Dude. In Ec 10, that would be an A."

“Say what?!” or “Meh”: “Meh”

Overall grade: C+

Oh, Ec 10 – your perpetual relevance mystifies those of us who have never dared to venture into the whimsical world of Greg Mankiw. But seriously, must every humorous class reference be about Ec 10 or Life Sci? How about a little love for Math 21a or CS50?

Otherwise, a funny punch line for a not-so-interesting statistic. We get that our age group is underinsured, but until you get that hospital bill after celebrating your roommate’s step-sister's half-birthday a too little hard, you’re probably not so prone to understand the risks.

Poster 2: "That's Only 62 Times the Number Who've Died from Swine Flu."

"Say what?!” or “Meh”: “Say what?

Overall grade: B –

Wait, so you’re saying swine flu hasn’t killed millions of people, sexually harassed female employees of David Letterman, and stolen Taylor Swift’s moment at the VMAs? It’s so much less evil than we thought! But lack of health insurance is certainly to blame for all of those things then, right?

Minus points because that pig looks like a creepy version of “Babe.”

Poster 3: "A Serious Pre-Existing Condition...Like Acne."

“Say what?!” or “Meh”: “Say what?!”

Overall grade: A-

Wait, for serious? That’s a pretty startling fact in its own right. But this poster also works because that picture is downright terrifying. It’s like staring straight into your awkward junior high years and not being able to look away. Good thing you got yourself together in high school and became a suave, sophisticated, acne-free Harvardian.

Poster 4: "We've Got Purell."

“Say what?!” or “Meh”: “Meh”

Overall grade: B+

Sure, Purell increases bacterial resistance and is flammable enough to turn every germaphobe into a WMD, but FlyBy can’t deny we love the stuff. A quick pump is all you need to feel spry and healthy and H1N1-free. And props for making something funny out of the newfound ubiquity of hand sanitizer around campus.

Photos: Courtesy Harvard Democrats

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.