Nearly All J-Term Applications Approved

By Lauren D. Kiel and Eric P. Newcomer, Crimson Staff Writers

The College accepted over 93 percent of the undergraduates who applied to stay on campus during this year’s inaugural January break—1,316 of the 1,404 students who submitted applications—according to College spokesman Jeff A. Neal.

Students received e-mails around 3 p.m. yesterday afternoon—a week and a half after applications were due—notifying them of their housing decisions and the days that they will be permitted to stay on campus.

According to Interim Dean of Advising Programs Inge-Lise Ameer, most students who fell into the categories previously outlined by Dean of the College Evelynn M. Hammonds—including thesis writers, members of 19 varsity winter sports teams, international students, and students working in labs—were approved.

Ameer said that while 1,316 students had been approved to stay on campus, the number of students actually on campus at any given time will hover around 1,000—the administration’s original stated target for the number of students.

While there are no plans to search dorm rooms for unapproved students, there may be consequences for anyone who tries to remain on campus without permission, Ameer said.

Some other students not in the categories outlined by Hammonds were also granted permission to stay on campus during J-Term, including members of the Hasty Pudding Theatricals and The Harvard Crimson.

“I was very impressed with how thoughtful people were in their applications,” Ameer said.

William R. Rose ’11, one of two students appointed by the Undergraduate Council to the committee that reviewed the J-Term applications, said that the committee did not receive any “ridiculous applications.”

Committee members reviewed applications as they were submitted and informed applicants of their decision 11 days after the Oct. 15 application deadline.

“I appreciated the turnaround time of the announcement on housing, and I was very impressed that they were able to award such a high percentage of students housing,” said UC President Andrea R. Flores ’10.

Students’ Harvard University ID cards will only be activated for the days that they have been approved to be on campus, Ameer said.

Freshman dorms will open for J-Term on Jan. 3, while the Houses will remain open through the winter break, which begins on Dec. 22. As varsity sports teams have done in the past, freshmen remaining on campus in December will stay with upperclassmen until their dorms reopen in January.

Tutors and proctors will remain on campus during J-Term, and shuttles will run on the same schedule as during the academic year, Ameer said.

Annenberg Hall will be the only dining facility open during the three-week-long period. The Malkin Athletic Center will be closed during the break, but the Hemenway Gym and the Quad Recreational Athletic Center (QRAC) will stay open.

Ameer said that she will send an e-mail providing greater detail about the rules for J-Term housing within the next two weeks, after she meets with more House officials.

—Staff writer Lauren D. Kiel can be reached at lkiel@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Eric P. Newcomer can be reached at newcomer@fas.harvard.edu.

CollegeHouse LifeCollege AdministrationJ Term