Accio! Museum of Science Summons HP

By Shaomin C. Chew, Contributing Writer

For everyone who has eagerly awaited a Hogwarts acceptance letter since the summer of their 11th year, "Harry Potter: The Exhibition" is finally an opportunity for them to get a taste of the wizarding world. Like stepping from the streets of London into Knockturn Alley, the experience of entering "Harry Potter: The Exhibition" is one which makes the fantastical realm a reality for visitors. Showcasing the props and sets used in the Warner Brothers film series, "Harry Potter: The Exhibition" runs in the Museum of Science until February 21.

"The Museum is excited to offer its visitors the opportunity to immerse themselves in an exhibit that bridges both cultures and generations," said Ioannis Miaoulis, president and director of the Museum of Science, Boston, in a statement issued by the museum. According to Miaoulis, he hoped the exhibition would attract visitors of all ages, especially those who have not stepped foot in a science museum before. "It is our hope that the exhibit will lead visitors to experience the excitement of discovery that’s at the heart of all that we do at the Museum of Science," he said.

In "The Exhibition," museum-goers can first be sorted into one of the four Hogwarts Houses by the Sorting Hat. The oak doors that then lead into the rest of the exhibition open on a black room where scenes from the movies play in loop. Suddenly, a black screen rises, and Platform 9 3/4 appears, complete with a steaming red train engine and a waiting platform attendant carrying an old-fashioned lamp.

The exhibition itself, which occupies 10,000 square feet of the museum, reveals how obsessively intent on detail the films’ producers were when creating the movie series. From the Chudley Cannon posters in Ronald Weasley’s room to the descriptions in Professor Lockhart’s Defense Against the Dark Arts tests, it becomes apparent that Warner Brothers did not skimp when it came to character development.

With this exhibition, fans might find that they discover something new about their favorite characters, as there seems to be even more material here than can be found in the books. For example, who knew that Remus Lupin collected gramophone records? Or that the company that makes pumpkin juice was among the sponsors of the Wizarding World Cup? The attention paid to the props themselves, from Hermione’s Time-Turner to a Golden Snitch, reveals the artistry that went into making every element of the movies.

What is tiny on screen comes alive in this exhibition, and viewers will find themselves captivated by each of the carefully crafted props featured in this show. Objects such as issues of "The Daily Prophet" or Professor Umbridge’s Educational Decrees and Ministry of Magic memos do not receive more than a few seconds of screen time, but their authenticity is what allows film audiences to suspend their disbelief and fully embrace the world of Harry Potter, if just for the duration of a movie. This exhibition makes it clear that these details are the difference between watching a show about wizards and believing that magic is part and parcel of daily life.

Aside from these props are models of magical creatures, including centaurs, acromantulas, Hungarian Horntails, baby threstrals, and house elves, as well as the costumes worn by characters in the movies. Although the ceiling doesn’t change to mimic the weather outside in the Great Hall section of the exhibit, you do have the option of sitting in Hagrid’s oversized chair in the set of Hagrid’s hut.

In addition to adherence to the magical atmosphere created by the Harry Potter series, the exhibition also offers a number of interactive activities and games; instead of the usual basketballs and hoops, they involve Quaffles and rings.

"Harry Potter" may be an exhibition based on a popular childrens’ series, but like any successful show, it transports visitors—not back into time, in this case—but into its own separate world. What is appealing about this exhibition is that it, like any reconstruction of a different era or presentation of some scientific theory, is complete—the clothes, food, paintings, and other trappings of the Harry Potter universe seem pulled straight from the day-to-day life of an alternate, wizarding world. In making Harry Potter come alive, "Harry Potter: The Exhibition" is its own Mirror of Erised, fulfilling a dream for the most die-hard fans.

Film