Move Over Sunday Sundaes, It's Honey Butter Time

•

Honey.

Butter.

HoneyButter? Honeybutter? Honey-Butter?

Whatever it is, that stuff's amazing. And you know you love it.

No one in their right mind would disagree that at Harvard, Sunday is the best day of the week not because of God or church or anything like that but because of HUDS's "bread day" extravaganza in each dining hall for dinner. But while bread day has been given its due amount of praise, perhaps the most delicious part of the whole enterprise (a subtle little substance called Honey Butter--that's right, capitalize it!) often goes without mention.

And don't you dare tell FlyBy that the name "Honey Butter" doesn't ring a bell, as it's that gooey gloriousness that explodes all over your mouth and face as you take a bite of a warm slice of whole grain or sourdough bread as you start weekend homework on Sunday at 8pm.

And what exactly is in this delicious angel of taste, at least in a "scientific" sense? Find out more after the jump.

Well, for starters, Honey Butter is–in its .25 ounce serving size–only 26 "calories from fat," and, assuming you only eat 2,000 calories in a day (yeah right, you're in college), Honey Butter is only about one percent of your daily suggested intake! But who eats–or, rather, who has enough self-restraint merely to eat–just one tiny quarter of an ounce of this ambrosial accoutrement for some of the best warm (if not freshly baked) bread you can find at Harvard, even in the culinary Siberia that is Annenberg Hall?

And that brings FlyBy to disclose the best thing about Honey Butter: it has no trans fat whatsoever, and it's still butter, and it's still delicious. Heck, you might even be able to find it in New York City someday with a track record like that. According to the entry on the HUDS website on Honey Butter, this spiritually satisfying melange of "white clover honey" and "unsalted butter" (which, as anyone who watches the Barefoot Contessa or, God forbid, Paula Deen, knows, ain't the best for you) contains absolutely zero percent of the feared and banned artery clogger.

In fact, FlyBy is almost convinced that Honey Butter is even healthy, as one measly quarter ounce is two percent of your daily Vitamin A intake!

So who says that HUDS doesn't make any good food? How can those arguments even be made with the presence of something as charming as Honey Butter every Sunday night? The next time you're feeling down, just think of the next time your jowls will be dripping with the excess deliciousness of what just might be HUDS's most under-appreciated food item.

Aside, of course, from Ranger Cookies.

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.