Farewell to Herrell's!

Serving Harvard Square for 27 years, tonight, Herrell's Ice Cream closes its doors at last.

In September, FlyBy, like many who once frequented the Dunster Street mom-and-pop ice cream parlor, was devastated to return from the summer to see the sign announcing Herrell's impending departure in the storefront. Apple pie and a scoop of ice cream almost certainly went down well with a late-night pset, often worth the extra walk from Mass Ave. for a little bit of Harvard Square history.

Told it was Herrell's last day open, FlyBy tried to reach by 9:00 PM, only to be turned away by the closing staff as the parlor's first customers rejected in 27 years. While not the last customer served, FlyBy prides itself instead on being the first customer permanently unable to buy homemade ice cream on Dunster Street in 27 years.

With one less eating eatery in the Square, it is unclear what Harvard students will do for the time being until 15 Dunster St. reopens in the spring. As Herrell's storefront announces, the space promises to reopen in "early spring 2010" as "First Printer Restaurant, Bar, and Grill," commemorating Stephen Daye's first printing press in the British Americas, back in 1638. As a hat tip to Herrell's well-established customer base, First Printer has promised to have "frozen desserts" on its menu.

In the meantime, FlyBy is sifting through a wallet full of void purple "Boomerang Gift Certificates," good for $1 off on any next visit to Herrell's, saddened by Herrell's obvious debt default...

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.