Professor Discusses the Human Condition

Philosophy professor says humans must acknowledge ironies of life

University of Chicago Philosophy Professor Jonathan Lear said at a lecture in Lowell Lecture Hall yesterday that human beings must question their direction in life in order to become better.

His speech—which kicked off the three-day Tanner Lectures series at Harvard—brought together audience members from across the University, including professors, graduate students, undergraduates, and even University President Drew G. Faust.

“I’ve read his work since grad school,” said Jason A. Pannone, who works in the philosophy library, adding that he came to the lecture for “the chance to hear [Lear] think.”

Lear emphasized the importance of developing an appreciation for irony—the circumstance in which a seemingly comfortable truth returns in an unfamiliar form, disrupting one’s world-view and self-perception.

While acknowledging the ironies of life can be difficult, Lear said, this step is the key to achieving “human excellence.” He also focused on the necessity of accepting one’s own ignorance to achieve excellence.

Lear’s lecture, which focused on difficult philosophical concepts, was directed toward those with a wide-ranging grasp of philosophical history.

“I would probably have to think about it a lot to really wrap my mind around what all the implications would be,” attendee Edward J. Dumoulin ’10 said.

Lear acknowledged that understanding topics surrounding human existence requires much contemplation.

“To become human or to learn what it means to be human does not come that easily,” he said, drawing from Danish philosopher Soren Kierkegaard.

Recommended Articles

History Professor Tracks Explorers
Neural Pathways to the Future
Intrinsically, humans are explorers. It is part of our nature to delve into the unknown, to search for answers and to reach for unseen heights. We should not forsake the future for the present.
Shakespeare's Dysfunctional Families
The decadence of the pool that once was, before its conversion to a small, intimate theater—and the tales of coed skinny-dipping and a few fabled orgies—is a stiff act to follow. Nevertheless, the dauntless Hyperion Shakespeare Company was the latest to take on such an endeavor and the verdict? Not bad. The Hyperion performed ten scenes, mostly well-known, from seven of Shakespeare’s plays, with all of the scenes based on the theme “Family Feud.”
Harvard Law School Discusses Human Rights at Conference
European human rights scholars and Harvard professors met Monday at Harvard Law School’s Milstein Conference Center to discuss the divergent European and American perspectives on human rights.
Hyperion Scene Recitals Perform Shakespeare's Best
This year, to honor the 450th anniversary of the birth of Shakespeare, the Hyperion Shakespeare Company has selected scenes from the Bard’s greatest hits, the production’s theme. In 90 minutes, favorite monologues and familiar scenes will be presented by a slew of actors, both veteran and novice.
Poster Child
New Exhibit Explores History and Science of Human Dissection