NOTEBOOK: Sophomore Shows Mettle in First Game as Starting Netminder, Turns Away 42 Shots

Penalty kill unit keeps defending national champions quiet

By Lucy D. Chen, Crimson Staff Writer

Playing in front of a sold-out crowd, at TD Banknorth Garden, in the consolation final of the 57th Beanpot,  against the defending national champions.

It would have made for an intimidating environment for any goaltender to play in, not to mention one making his first collegiate start.

But sophomore Ryan Carroll didn’t just make his debut as starting netminder last night. He arrived in stunning fashion, stopping 42 shots en route to a narrow 4-3 loss to the No. 15 Boston College Eagles.

Carroll didn’t have much time to prepare for his new role in the limelight.

“I found out [on Sunday] that I’d be starting and it was just enough time, I guess,” Carroll said.

The second-year was largely responsible for the close score, singlehandedly blocking several one-on-one attempts at goal by BC.

While leading 3-2 in the second period, an Eagle forward came streaking towards goal, leaving Harvard defenders scrambling in his wake.

What seemed like a sure score turned into an embarrassing miss for BC as Carroll lunged forward from the goal to swipe the puck safely away from net.

Carroll’s new role as starting goalkeeper comes after sitting on the bench all season behind freshman Matt Hoyle and junior John Riley.

“It was kind of nice to be able to finally start a game, in the Beanpot especially,” Carroll said. “It was crazy in the first period, and then I settled in and took control of what I could.”

Carroll’s stalwart play in net anchored a strong defensive effort overall by the Crimson last night, as the penalty kill unit was successful in dismantling five of BC’s six power play opportunities.

Despite the team’s strong defensive play, good fortune also had a hand in last night’s tight score.

Fortunately for the Crimson, Lady Luck was on its side, as the team managed to stay even with the Eagles despite the large disparity in shots on goal.

On an Eagle power play late in the first period, BC forward Kyle Kucharski had a near-open shot to pop the puck in the back door.

Luckily for Carroll and the Crimson, the Eagle swung and completely missed the puck, allowing the teams to head into the second period with the score tied at one.

PIER ONE

Playing against its third ranked opponent in as many games, the Crimson displayed its mettle by keeping the score tied until the final minute of the match.

Though Harvard was outshot, 46-22, for the game, the team was able to stay titfor tat scorewise with BC behind the standout offensive performance of sophomore forward Pier-Olivier Michaud.

With two goals and an assist, Michaud had a hand in all three of the Crimson’s goals last night.

Michaud scored his first halfway through the first period on a 5-on-3 advantage, when he buried the rebound of senior defenseman Brian McCafferty’s shot on goal.

Standing almost parallel with the goal line, Michaud somehow redirected the puck into net from a near-impossible angle.

The sophomore also scored his second goal from a rebound as well, this time off a shot from fellow sophomore forward Matt McCollem.

Michaud was again the playmaker in the Crimson’s third and final goal of the night. Eagles goalie John Muse’s sloppy attempt to clear the puck allowed Michaud to swoop in to fire a shot on goal. Senior forward Nick Coskren buried the rebound for a short-handed tally.

Michaud, who has found the back of the net in three of the last four games, now leads the team in scoring with six goals on the season.

TWO-MINUTE MINORS

Even though Carroll has seen limited collegiate action, last night wasn’t the first time he has faced the Eagles. The sophomore made his collegiate debut against BC on Dec. 12 last season...Though this was the last Beanpot game for the team’s seniors, only two members of the class of 2009 came up big. Nick Coskren and Brian McCafferty each had a hand in one of last night’s goals.

—Staff writer Lucy D. Chen can be reached at lucychen@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Ice Hockey