SPORTS BRIEF: Former Harvard Coach and Wrestling Legend John H. Lee Passes Away

By Crimson Sports Staff, None

After battling a long illness, former Harvard wrestling coach and two-time Crimson All-American John H. Lee Jr. ’53 passed away yesterday.

Lee demonstrated lifelong commitment to Harvard wrestling, devoting 35 years to the program as a student-athlete and coach.

One of only seven grapplers to be elected to the Harvard Varsity Club Hall of Fame, Lee enjoyed a stellar career in the Crimson singlet. As a junior and senior, the four-year standout capped his two All-American seasons by finishing fourth in the NCAA championships at 123 lbs. Since that time, only three other Harvard wrestlers have equaled or surpassed this feat, the last of which was Jesse Jantzen ’04, a three-time place winner.

Lee also punctuated his career with a 1951 AAU National Championship at 125 lbs.

The two-time Crimson captain returned to his alma mater in 1956 to continue his leadership efforts as a coach.

After leaving his mark on all levels of the program as freshman team head coach and assistant varsity coach, Lee took full control of the varsity squad from his coach and mentor, Bob Pickett, in 1968.

Lee enjoyed an 18-year tenure as the face of Harvard wrestling, compiling a 165-121-5 record, including the standing record for wins in a season with 17 in 1981.

The coach also guided 27 EIWA place winners and 14 NCAA qualifiers, as well a remarkable team effort, placing 19th at the 1983 NCAA championships. This campaign marked the third-best finish ever for a Crimson squad.

Lee not only orchestrated stellar seasons, but also demonstrated sustained brilliance, leading Harvard to ten winning seasons and four second place finishes in the Ivy League.

The long-time Crimson coach also continued the precedent for stability within Harvard wrestling.

Following Pickett’s example, Lee yielded the team seamlessly to his successor Jim Peckham, and the Crimson has had only one other coach since. Current head coach Jay Weiss marks his 16th season with Harvard this spring.

Lee’s nearly two decades at the helm of Crimson wrestling represent the second-longest tenure for a Harvard grapplers’ head coach, but his contribution to the sport extended well beyond Cambridge.

Lee served as a member of the United States Olympic Committee from 1968-1976 and as a member of the NCAA Wrestling Coaches Association from 1978-1982.

Wrestling