Victory Over Cornell Earns Title

Tri-captain Sarah Vaillancourt had a hand in all five goals in Friday’s contest against Cornell, finishing four of them. The Crimson clinched the Ivy League title with the win but looks to make waves in the ECAC.
By Katie Kuzma, Contributing Writer

After a disappointing loss last Tuesday in the Beanpot final, the Crimson is back in business.

The Harvard women’s hockey team cruised past Cornell on Friday at Lynah Rink in Ithaca, N.Y., earning a 5-2 victory and clinching its second consecutive Ivy League title and eighth overall.

Tri-captain Sarah Vaillancourt showed no mercy on the Big Red, and played a part in all five of the team’s goals—with four goals and an assist.

After a sluggish start to the game, the Crimson rallied back with four goals in the final period, ending with a three-goal advantage over its Ivy rival.

“The team played pretty well overall, but started a little bit slow,” Harvard coach Katey Stone said. “We turned on after their goal and had a solid third period.”

The first period was packed with numerous penalties, keeping the Crimson on its toes.

“We probably gave them too many opportunities,” tri-captain Jenny Brine said. “They have a very talented first line, but Kessler played a great game in net. Overall, defense was still looking good.”

Cornell was only able to manage 11 shots in the first period, despite three power-play opportunities.

The second period put the Crimson ahead, 1-0, after nine minutes. Cornell freshman goaltender Amanda Mazzotta got a good look as Vaillancourt flew down the ice off a pass from sophomore Katharine Chute. But after Mazzotta made the initial save, Vaillancourt sunk the rebound, getting the Crimson on the board.

Harvard still had command over the game at the start of the third period, but not for long. Within the first minute, the Big Red’s Rebecca Johnston crossed the puck into the right corner of the net, tying the score, 1-1. But the Cornell goal did not put the Crimson down.

“Right after Cornell’s goal, we responded well and took it to them,” Stone said.

Harvard answered with four more goals in the final frame, three belonging to Vaillancourt and the other to Brine.

The first Crimson goal of the third came from Vaillancourt less then seven minutes into the period. Vaillancourt received a pass from junior Kathryn Farni behind the blue line, and outskated two Cornell defenders on a breakaway to set up the score.

Within minutes, Vaillancourt tallied her third goal off another pass from linemate Chute. This score rounded off Vaillancourt’s hat trick, her third of the season, and was the 100th goal of her collegiate career.

Even with a solid lead, Harvard did not let up. Brine added to the score at 11:15, with a short-handed goal on a pass from Vaillancourt. It was Brine’s first goal of the game, and the fourth for the Crimson.

“It was a great game overall,” Brine said. “The team really came out flying. We all had confidence going into the third that we were going to pull ahead…Sarah had a great game and really contributed on the scoreboard.”

At 14:29, Vaillancourt was back at the Big Red net. Tallying her fourth goal of the game and third of the period, Vaillancourt stretched the gap to 5-1. Junior Cori Bassett recorded an assist on the play.

With only 1:27 left on the clock, Cornell’s Johnston scored her second goal of the contest, bringing the final score to 5-2.

Though Vaillancourt stole the show, junior goalie Christina Kessler, Chute, and Brine turned in impressive performances as well. Kessler made a career-high 35 saves for the Crimson, while Brine put in a goal, and Chute added two assists.

Harvard was outshot, 37-34, overall, but held Cornell scoreless on its six power plays.

The Crimson went 0-for-3 with a man advantage, while Mazzotta finished with 29 saves.

Overall, Stone was impressed with the team’s composure and its desire to win.

“The lines clicked, people were finding each other, and everyone was sharing the puck,” she said. “The selflessness led to our success.”

Women's Ice Hockey