In Eliot, No Pants is No Problem

It may comfort some to see the spirit of domestic exclusivity alive and well on Harvard’s campus, well after the
By Gus T. Hickey

It may comfort some to see the spirit of domestic exclusivity alive and well on Harvard’s campus, well after the housing process became truly random. The Eliot House Committee, in an attempt to retain their erstwhile elite status, has taken this entitlement to a new, breezier level: by taking off their pants.

Dimitry A. Doohovskoy ’09, Eliot HoCo Co-chair, organized a “Pants-less Dining Experience” for the residents of Eliot House last Thursday. In a vehement e-mail over the Eliot House list, Doohovskoy instructed Eliotites to drop trowsers “when the 6 o’clock signal is given” to promote “Eliot anti-interloper Solidarity”.

“Animosity is sometimes another word for jealousy,” said Doohovskoy, brushing off the possibility of the pants-less protest generating ill will.

To the contrary, Doohovskoy said the protest may spur a “revolution” among houses facing a similar plight. “I think that Eliot is always an inspiration to other houses, who sort of have to follow our lead in a lot of things,” he said, “it’s not their fault. It’s just, you know, we have a great HoCo...and we have great House life.”

Although pantsless participants numbered well over 50, many Eliot and non-Eliot students alike seemed disinterested. Several non-participants cited their preference for bottoms as the main reason for remaining clothed.

When asked whether she takes interest in HoCo activites, Kelsey A. Maguire ’11 asked what “HoCo” was.

“I don’t really think people care that much,” said Eliot resident Lauren T. Brown ’10, who participated in the event. Brown was indifferent about Eliot earning a reputation from the event. “So what? People in Eliot are really weird.”

“I’m glad I don’t live in Eliot,” declared Dunster House resident Leah R. Schwartz ’11, adding, “Eliot sucks.” Schwartz, a Radcliffe rower, is one of the many athletes who frequent Eliot dining hall. Unfazed by the pantsless dining episode, she asserted that she will continue her regular interhouse dining in defiance of the Eliot HoCo.

Despite mixed reactions, Doohovskoy remained hopeful for the future: “On Welcome Day, we’ll see how the freshmen react.”