Aykroyd Named Artist of The Year

SNL Alum, ‘Blues Brother’ to be honored for work at next week’s Cultural Rhythms show

By Wyatt P. Gleichauf, Crimson Staff Writer

Emmy Award winner and original “Saturday Night Live” cast member Dan Aykroyd will be honored as the Artist of the Year next Saturday at the 2009 Cultural Rhythms Show.

The event, organized by the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations, will kick off in the afternoon with a roast of Aykroyd, followed by a luncheon held in Kirkland dining hall. The day’s events in Sanders Theatre will feature an award presentation and performances by a number of Harvard dance and singing groups, including Harvard Bhangra, the Harvard-Radcliffe Kuumba Singers, and the Expressions Dance Troupe.

This year marks the 23rd time the Foundation has given the Artist of the Year Award, which recognizes humanitarian efforts and achievements in the arts.

Aykroyd is well-known for his performances in comedies such as “Ghostbusters” and “The Blues Brothers,” and has been an Oscar and Grammy Nominee.

According to Cultural Rhythms Co-Director Nworah B. Ayogu ’10, Aykroyd was selected for the award for both his popular and charitable work.

“The Artist of the Year is not only chosen for their contributions to the arts, but for their contributions to society,” he said. “Dan Aykroyd is someone unique because of his commitment to humanitarian organizations like Artists Against Racism.”

Co-Director Jacqueline C. Hairston ’10 said Aykroyd’s influence in the music industry was also an important factor in deciding the award.

“We selected him because he has done a lot in terms of race relations and bringing black music to the forefront,” she said. “We thought he would be a great addition to our program.”

Ayogu said the event “is a chance to celebrate the cultural diversity of Harvard and share it with the rest of the campus.”

Past Cultural Rhythms Artists of the Year include Will Smith, Matt Damon, Denzel Washington, Halle Berry, and Jackie Chan.

Proceeds from the show will go the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children.

Tickets for Cultural Rhythms are available at the Harvard Box Office in the Holyoke Center.

Cultural Rhythms representatives expressed their excitement for Aykroyd’s visit.

“He’s a comedian and writer, so we’re excited to see what his creative mind will come up with next Saturday,” said Ayogu.

—Staff writer Wyatt P. Gleichauf can be reached at wgleich@fas.harvard.edu.