Fueling Change

The proposed gas tax hike will benefit both the state and environment

By The Crimson Staff, None

Driving in Massachusetts is on a road to becoming more of a luxury. Yesterday, the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority voted to increase toll prices in a staggered fashion—by a factor that depends on whether a gas-tax increase will also be approved. In an attempt to rid the state’s transportation system of its debt, and to bolster the budget by half a billion dollars, Governor Deval L. Patrick ’78 has suggested raising the gasoline tax by 19 cents in the state—nearly double its current level. His proposal, which would leave Massachusetts with one of the highest gas taxes in the country, makes both economic and environmental sense, and the gas-tax hikes should be approved.

The hike in the gas tax will have several benefits to those living in Massachusetts. The money generated will serve to cover the deficit in the transportation budget and allow needed maintenance operations to take place. A large portion of the funds will go toward maintaining the roads and bridges that make up the Turnpike, but the MBTA would also benefit. Its fares could be maintained at current prices, and all cuts in service would become unnecessary.

Considered Pigouvian, the gas tax makes driving reflect its true cost, economically and environmentally. Driving and burning gas is associated with many negative externalities, as it produces pollution and contributes to global warming—both of which tax payments can help offset. On the environmental front, a higher gas tax will also create incentives for motorists to buy more fuel-efficient cars, or even hybrids. It might also encourage people to carpool or use the public transportation system more often. This in turn will decrease air pollution and traffic jams.

In addition, if the tax is passed, future toll increases will be unnecessary. This is fortunate, as gas taxes reflect a more equitable taxing policy than tolls, since all motorists share the tax burden fairly, not just those who travel on certain roads. The alternative solution—increasing tollbooth rates—also does not promote the adoption of greener modes of transportation.

Further incentives besides the tax should be considered to help combat the environmental cost of driving and encourage the adoption of lower-emission vehicles. For instance, subsidies for cleaner energy production should continue to be explored.

Ultimately, this tax will lead to a better transportation system that collects from motorists based on how much they drive, not where they drive. Indirectly, the tax will also help to minimize the state’s impact on the environment—something that we can all appreciate.