Proctors’ Meal Plans May Be Restricted

By Jillian K. Kushner, Crimson Staff Writer

Freshman proctors may see cuts in their meal plans next year, according to Dean of Freshman Thomas A. Dingman ’67. He said both cuts in the 15-meal per week allotment for proctors and a total abolishment of the proctor guest meal plan are on the table.

“The proctors work hard and this is an important part of their compensation,” he said. “We want their presence in the dining hall.”

While proctors emphasized the importance of interacting with students—especially in Annenberg—they also said they understand the necessity of possible cuts.

“I think the meal plan is a significant source of cost to the FDO...if you look at things being cut around the university it’s not surprising,” said Aaron D. Chadbourne ’06, a freshman proctor. “As much as I respect HUDS, the food is not the reason I wanted to be a proctor.”

While the 15-meal per week plan for freshman proctors might make up a significant percentage of the FDO’s budget, the 10-meal per semester guest meal allotment is probably not a big percentage of the budget said Ethan L. Gray ’05, a proctor in Canaday. He said that cuts to the guest meal plan would not be a big loss to proctors.

So far this year the FDO has received 120 freshman proctor applications, up 30 from last year. Proctor applications were due in January but the FDO will continue to see applications come in this spring, possibly due to the allure of free housing in a down economy.

“I think the economy doesn’t hurt people’s interest but the word on street is that [being a proctor] is rewarding work and people have a chance to make a difference,” Dingman said.

Dingman said that the FDO has been working to cut programs and costs that will not directly affect students. The FDO has already cut 5 percent of its costs this year, reducing the number publications it prints and sending out letters to parents online rather than by mail.

To meet the College’s mandatory 15 percent cut on all office budgets, the FDO also plans to make cuts to internal office staff appreciation programs, equipment upgrades, published materials, and travel and professional development programs. The office is also looking at cutting part-time staffing, overtime pay, and summer interns.

—Staff writer Jillian K. Kushner can be reached at kushner@fas.harvard.edu