Bush Official Touts Service

IOP Visiting Fellow, former Secretary of Labor, advises students on public sector

By Jessie J. Jiang, Contributing Writer

Former Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao discussed possible career options with students last night at the Institute of Politics.

The event was part of the IOP Internships Program’s effort to allow students to speak to people with careers in politics and public service. The Office of Career Services co-sponsored the event.

“I don’t see a lot of immigrants in the public service sector,” said Y. John Mei ’12, pointing to the similarities between his own background and Chao’s. “Therefore, it is particularly refreshing to see someone like her.”

Chao, a graduate of Harvard Business School, has gone from being a banker to serving as Director of the Peace Corps to becoming President of the nonprofit organization United Way over the course of her career.

Her last position was as President George W. Bush’s Secretary of Labor.

When asked about acquiring jobs in the midst of an economic downturn, Chao encouraged students to look more closely at public sector positions, predicting that the federal government would likely undergo a massive retirement wave in the next five to 10 years, leading to a higher demand for skilled professionals in that area.

“Especially now with the recent stimulus package, there will be a period of tremendous governmental spending,” she said.

“And they are going to need more people to watch over new programs to be established,” Chao added.

Retirement and health-care packages for public sector jobs were “gold-plated,” Chao said, although starting salaries may not be as high as in the private sector.

“I really enjoyed the event, as Ms. Chao pretended that we were all looking for a job,” Mei said.

He added that the former Cabinet member, “gave us sincere and specific advice on how to approach people, manage our connections, look for jobs, and finally land one.”

Chao, who is serving as an IOP Visiting Fellow this spring, said she plans to continue work in the public sector following her stint at the Institute.