Comedian Black Visits Kirkland House

By Laura M. Fontanills, Contributing Writer

Sprinkled between a series of comedic anecdotes and profanities, Grammy Award winning comedian Lewis Black conveyed a clear message to a group of students at Kirkland House last night: find something you love, and do whatever it takes to pursue it.

Notorious for his loud, angry stage persona, Black, visiting as part of the “Conversations with Kirkland” speaking series, turned down the volume—but not the crowd-pleasing four-letter words—and focused his talk on the pursuit of a fulfilling career.

“Your major obligation in life, unless you’re a religious fanatic, is to figure out what you want to do and do it,” Black said.

Black said that he believed that by pursuing many interests, students can find the key to their happiness.

“And you’re at Harvard. It’s like a grocery store full of options,” Black exclaimed. “Harvard is Whole Foods.”

But Black, speaking in the midst of trying economic times, also issued a caveat.

“The last thing you should worry about is income, especially in this economy,” the comedian said.

“Pursuing money isn’t sane,” he later warned.

Speaking after the event, Black expressed disdain for the number of students entering business fields for the sake of financial gain.

Yesterday’s appearance began with a short address, after which Black conducted a long question and answer period, discussing comedy and his career.

Pointing to his experience teaching theater, Black remarked several times that, had he not become an entertainer, he would have liked to become an educator.

The noted humorist said that the thing he loves most about comedy is “that I can say whatever I want.”

“I’m lucky in the sense that I love what I do,” Black said.

When asked about future plans, Black remarked that he is interested in writing books and plays, but also expressed interest in becoming the next president of Harvard.

“I’d just run amok, never show up at anything,” he said, of his potential move to Mass. Hall.

Black graduated from the Yale Graduate School of Drama in 1977, and has since worked on many projects, including numerous stand-up shows and a sketch on “The Daily Show” with John Stewart entitled “Back in Black.”

Black’s comedy style is defined by angry tirades at social and political issues.

Students were receptive to yesterday’s talk, and many found his advice about comedy helpful.

“His descriptions of how silence can build tension in comedy was a very interesting aspect of the talk,” said William M. K. Stallings ’10.

The “Conversations with Kirkland” Series was founded in 2002 by Peter V. Emerson, resident scholar of Kirkland house and former Kennedy School of Government student, and co-housemasters Tom C. Conley and Verena A. Conley.

Since its inception, the series has hosted casual talks between students and a wide range of guest speakers, including several actors and famous politicians.