Crimson Edged by Navy, Settles for Second Place

Navy too much for Harvard, which prepares for Ivy Championships next week

The Crimson could not pull out a first place finish at the ECAC championships this weekend, but several swimmers turned in solid showings, including junior Rob Lynch, who finished in 3:59.43 in the 400-yard IM relay.
By Alexandra J. Mihalek, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard men’s swimming and diving team lost its first Eastern College Athletic Conference Championship in three years this past weekend, coming in second place to Navy at the Crimson’s home Blodgett Pool. Harvard, who remained in second for all three days of the contest, finished with a score of 512.5 to the first-place Midshipmen’s 703.5.

Although Navy appeared to have decisively sunk the Crimson’s battleship during this meet, ECACs are a bit of a diamond in the rough—this three-day event is much more than meets the eye.

The ECAC contest pitted the Crimson’s non-regular competitors against the top swimmers from each visiting school, allowing those Harvard athletes who will not be traveling to Princeton, N.J. to race in the Ivy Championships this coming weekend a chance to swim in a championship-style meet.

“[The ECAC meet] really gives everybody a chance to put on a fast swim suit and go at it and show how all the hard work pays off,” junior Rick McKellar said.

Senior Mike Lin, who had personal-best times in each of his races for the contest, echoed McKellar’s sentiment.

“The opportunity to compete in ECACs is really what swimming’s all about,” Lin said. “It was a great way to cap the season—we had time drops all across the board, and it was really inspiring to see that.”

Harvard had an especially strong showing in its relays. On the first day of competition, the Crimson came out with a bang in the 200-yard freestyle relay, capturing a solid second place in the event.

The team of sophomore Eric Taylor, freshman Graham Frankel, and McKellar and junior Tyler Holland touched the wall in 1:22.39, just behind the first-place Midshipmen.

The foursome captured another second place in the final event of the meet, the 400-yard freestyle relay, with a time of 3:00.8. Once again the Crimson closely followed Navy, who swam an impressive 3:00.71 for first place in the event.

McKellar and Frankel were part of the top-finishing 800 yard freestyle relay team as well, this time with freshman Matthew McLean and sophomore Jamie Mannion. The Crimson swimmers touched the wall in 6:45.49, earning a third place score for their team.

In the individual events, sophomore Evan Schindewolf led Harvard’s biggest offensive effort for the three-day contest, claiming the number two spot in the 200-yard IM with a time of 1:50.88.

Schindewolf was followed by senior Dan Jones in fourth, freshman David Lynch in fifth, junior Rob Lynch in sixth, and freshman Niall Janney in eighth.

Schindewolf also placed second in the 400 yard IM, followed this time by Janney, Rob Lynch and David Lynch in fourth, fifth and seventh, respectively. “Our team came together really well and we did an excellent job,” McKellar said. “It was a good end to a really great season and we look forward to supporting the rest of the group as they go to Ivies next weekend.”

The other half of the Crimson’s ranks will represent its teammates and its school this coming weekend as it heads down to Princeton, N.J., to try and claim revenge on its rival Tigers for Harvard’s only loss of the season.

As the Crimson men get ready to leave this Tuesday for their most epic contest of the year, oach Tim Murphy believes his swimmers and divers are fully prepared for the challenges that await them.

“There’s nothing left to do,” Murphy said. “We’ve got to go down to compete, and if we do that we’ll have a good meet.”

—Staff writer Alexanda J. Mihalek can be reached at amihalek@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Swimming