Crimson Falters Down South

Davis nets lone victories for Harvard in weekend set against ranked opponents

By Zachary H. Richner, Contributing Writer

Although the Harvard women’s tennis team headed South for a pair of matches this weekend, all was not sunny for the Crimson. The squad faced two ranked opponents, losing, 5-2, against No. 57 Old Dominion on Sunday and falling, 6-1, to No. 31 William & Mary on Saturday.

Freshman Caroline Davis was Harvard’s lone victor on Saturday. Davis also won her match Sunday, as did sophomore Samantha Rosekrans.

“It is always a challenge and a privilege to play against ranked teams,” Crimson coach Traci Green said. “Now we will get some rest and get back on track.”

OLD DOMINION 5, HARVARD 2

After a humbling defeat the previous day, the Crimson did not fare much better Sunday versus Old Dominion, as Harvard lost, 5-2, to the Monarchs in Norfolk, Va. For the Crimson, Davis emerged victorious for the second straight day, and Rosekrans was the only other player to earn a point.

“We struggled a bit,” Green said. “We had a couple of key players sick.”

Freshman Camille Jania was unable to play because of a stomach virus, similar to that which had sidelined captain Laura Peterzan the previous day.

Rosekrans stepped up to play in the No. 3 position, which Jania usually occupies. Rosekrans took advantage of her opportunity, defeating Joanna Dobrowolska 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.

In other singles action, Harvard’s top player, No. 52 senior Beier Ko, suffered a defeat for the second-consecutive day. Ko lost 7-6, 6-1, to the Monarch’s Nadine Fahoum in the first position. Returning to action, Peterzan pushed No. 108 Charleen Haarhoff to three sets, but ultimately lost 7-5, 2-6, 6-3.

In the sixth position, Davis, trailing six games to five and behind 40-0, fought back for a gritty 7-5 first-set victory. Davis’ opponent, Marija Citic, then retired, to give Davis her second victory of the weekend.

In doubles action, the three Harvard pairings failed to win a match.

WILLIAM & MARY 6, HARVARD 1

The Tribe’s two nationally-ranked players proved too much for the Crimson. At No. 1 singles, No. 86 Katarina Zoricic took down Ko. Though Ko pushed the contest to a deciding third-set tiebreaker, Zoricic finished the match on a hot streak, ultimately downing the senior 4-6, 7-5, 10-2.

The loss was Ko’s first of the dual-match season, and she fell to 4-1 in singles play this year. In September, Ko easily beat Zoricic 6-2, 6-2 at the William & Mary Fall Invitational.

In the No. 2 position, No. 70 Ragini Acharya defeated Harvard freshman Camille Jania in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. Jania filled the No. 2 position for Peterzan, who was out of action due to a stomach illness.

In the No. 3 through No. 5 positions, the Crimson was unable to win a single set, as Rosekrans (6-2, 6-2), sophomore Agnes Sibilski (6-4, 6-2) and freshman Louise Laciny (6-2, 6-2) all fell to their William & Mary counterparts.

The bright spot of the day for Harvard was Davis’ 6-0, 6-3 defeat of Maria Morrissey at No. 6.

“Towards the end of my doubles match with [partner Rosekrans], we really started to play well,” Davis said. “So I was confident in my shot going into my singles match. I knew that if I could keep the ball deep, [Morrissey] would make mistakes.”

Davis swept the first set, but in the second set she quickly fell behind three games to none.

“It was nerves,” Davis said. “But I buckled down and regained focus.”

In doubles play, William & Mary toppled the Crimson 8-2, 8-4 and 8-0 in the first, second and third positions, respectively.

Even with a tough weekend down South, Harvard is confident that sunnier days lie ahead.

“I know that these close matches will turn into wins,” Davis said.

The Crimson has more than a week off before its next match against Boston College on March 12.

Women's Tennis