Provost Calls For Improved Libraries

Committee charged with improving efficiency of library system

By Emma M. Benintende, Contributing Writer

The creation of a library task force charged with developing recommendations to improve the strength and efficiency of the University’s library system, was announced by Harvard University Provost Steven E. Hyman on Friday.

Since John Harvard donated his private collection to the College in 1638, Harvard’s library network has grown organically over a very long period of time, which has led to a high level of decentralization, according to Director of the Harvard University Library Robert Darnton ‘60.

The structure of the current library system, which encompasses 75 separate institutions, a vast array of electronic resources, and multiple preservation labs and archival collections, has made it difficult to effectively coordinate services and adapt to technological innovations.

While some branches of the libraries—such as the law, business and medical school libraries—are autonomous entities, other services, such as the Office of Information Services are centralized.

Though the system’s organizational structure has been a concern before, the economic crisis has provided the impetus for library officials to rethink ways of increasing efficiency to meet budgetary constraints.

Still, those involved with the project do not see it as a cost-cutting exercise.

“The purpose as I understand it is to make a great library greater, to turn the crisis into an opportunity to do things better,” said Darnton.

Under the chairmanship of Steven Hyman, a 19-person task force comprised of university faculty and library staff from diverse academic backgrounds will prepare a set of recommendations to the President and the Council of Deans.

Their recommendations will address the overall structure of the library system, possible technological changes, and ways to address the overlap of library services.

“This is an opportunity to craft a different approach to the management of our libraries, one that takes into account the increasing interest in interdisciplinary research,” said Librarian of Harvard College Nancy M. Cline. “We need to better understand our colleagues’ needs, and we need to better understand how our users’ changing needs can be met.”

While the task force plans to make significant progress by summer, there is currently no deadline set for the final recommendations.

“We are at a turning point in the history of the library, but the exact place towards which it will turn is not yet clear,” said Darnton.