Don't Violate the Violated

By Scott D. Kominers, Karolina Lempert, and Elizabeth Pinto, Nones

In an ideal Harvard—a Harvard at which students feel safe, supported, and guarded—mutual respect and understanding are both indispensable and necessary. Along with many others in the Harvard community, we in the Harvard Office of Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Student Alliance and the Harvard Men Against Rape seek to foster a culture of sexual respect and safety at Harvard. For such a culture to flourish, regard for the privacy and emotions of sexual assault victims is essential.

The Crimson’s recent articles “Sexual Assault in River House Reported Saturday” (Tuesday, February 24, 2009) and “Police Officers Swarm Mather” (Monday, February 23, 2009), regarding an ongoing sexual assault investigation, violated individuals’ personal rights and trampled efforts towards a civil, respectful community at Harvard.

The choice to report the incident publicly should have been left to the discretion of the Harvard University Police Department. Indeed, HUPD has proven capable of protecting the community in the past, releasing warnings of potential safety threats, making resources readily available to students, and responding quickly and efficiently to distress calls. Additionally, HUPD typically withholds details of incidents while investigations are still pending and—in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 41, Section 97D—maintains confidentiality.

Nonetheless, The Crimson took it upon itself to conduct its own investigation into a sensitive and personal matter. This investigation was invasive, continuing although “[s]tudents closest to the situation have largely been unwilling to comment[…].”

Subsequent to its investigation, The Crimson produced a pair of disrespectful and injurious reports regarding the incident. The articles grossly violated the privacy of students involved. Room numbers were provided in both articles, and some future plans of the student allegedly involved in the incident were indicated.

Irrespective of what transpired this past Saturday night, The Harvard Crimson’s reporting of this incident is a setback for the culture of sexual respect many seek at Harvard. Victims of any crimes—and especially of sexual assault, where underreporting is rampant—should feel safe to seek the help of authorities. They should not have to fear that, in seeking help they might suffer further violation in having their trauma turned into headlines. Likewise, friends of victims should not feel helpless to provide assistance and comfort, nor should they be badgered to reveal sensitive personal information.

The greater Harvard community should not have to fear that a newspaper intended to inform will do so in a fashion as intrusive and inappropriate as in the dual articles on this “alleged incident.” The Harvard community appreciates relevant news, but even more so, appreciates respect and dignity.