Third Annual Identities Fashion Show Explores Clothing and Culture

Models perform for audience in Asian American Association-sponsored event

Models pose for “Identities” the spring fashion show hosted by the Asian American Association (AAA) Saturday night in Annenburg Hall. The show promotes the work of student designers at the college.
By Jack A. Holkeboer, Contributing Writer

Student models strutted down the runway in front of a sold-out crowd in Annenberg Hall Saturday night during the third annual Identities Fashion Show, sponsored by the Asian American Association.

The models showed off clothes that explored the interplay between fashion and cultural identity, with a focus on the Asian American experience.

Three themed acts—Demure Danger, Asian Americana, and Street Culture—exhibited mixes of Eastern and Western styles. Designers from Harvard College, the Parsons School of Design, and the Fashion Institute of Technology showcased their work in two “Student Design” segments.

Demure Danger took its inspiration from two trends of the 1920s, the colorful Chinese qipao dress and the freewheeling flapper styles of Prohibition-era New York. One model tossed his bowler hat into the audience as he left the catwalk.

The remainder of the show was sprinkled with similar performance elements and flirtatious stunts. In one scene a model handed a male companion her purse while she took off her jacket. She strutted off the stage leaving him on the catwalk, the purse in hand.

The Asian Americana segment explored what American symbolism means to the Asian immigrant. Patriotic reds, whites, and blues were accented by Asian twists like martial arts headbands. Some carried books about American history. One model ditched his pants for a pair of star-spangled boxers while Kim Wilde’s 1980s hit “Kids in America” blared in the background.

The show concluded with Street Culture, when models exchanged their stoic strutting for hip-hop dancing. The men sported shiny Ed Hardy hoodies, jeans, and hats. Women wore baggy cargo pants and tanktops.

“I wanted to show the different styles of Asian street dancing and clothes,” said Moonlit M. Wang ’10, the creative director of Street Culture. During this segment, the models alternated between Chinese, Japanese, and Korean street dance styles. In a high-point of the performance, the audience erupted in applause during a mock dance-off between male and female models.

The student designs explored both traditional and avant-garde styles. Xinran Yuan ’10 used puffy textured fabrics which amplified her models’ figures. Helen Tsim ’10 created long, silky dresses that recalled high school proms.

With the exception of one fall—an apparent consequence of a precarious pair of high-heels—the show’s execution was generally seamless. “It went smoothly, although it was hectic at times,” said director Nara Lee ’11.

“It was amazing display of talent,” said attendee Eveleen S.S. Hsu ’07. “It highlighted the unique aspects of being Asian, but the themes applied to everyone.”

All proceeds from the show were donated to Massachusetts Asian and Pacific Islanders for Health, a Boston-based charity that promotes health awareness.