Expanding Opportunities

OCS has responded to changing conditions admirably

By The Crimson Staff, None

For students, the economic downturn has caused anxiety about the present and the future. Many undergraduates who once took for granted that their summer plans would include a high-paying internship in finance or management consulting have been forced to reconsider their futures—not only is recruitment of students down this year, but many have also started to doubt the viability of pursuing a career in these once stable industries altogether. Even seniors with full-time offers from banks and consulting firms are feeling the effects of the downturn: Companies are currently offering some members of the class of 2009 a fraction of their annual salary if they voluntarily take a year off before beginning work.

The economic crisis has exposed those students interested in finance and consulting to the reality that has long faced undergraduates in other fields: Securing a summer internship or full-time job cannot always be as easy as filling out online applications through eRecruiting. Harvard’s Office of Career Services has long been criticized for catering solely to those students pursuing work in finance and consulting, while neglecting those who sought guidance in other sectors. But as the economic downturn has dramatically affected the career interests and needs of undergraduates, OCS has adapted remarkably well to a shifting demand.

OCS has faced the same tightening of the belt that has affected the rest of the University. In an effort to cut operation costs, OCS is considering eliminating one-on-one counseling in July. But even amidst sweeping budget cuts across the University, OCS has adapted to the current situation with flexibility, energy, and responsiveness to the needs and desires of undergraduates.

The programs and panels offered by OCS this spring have catered both to students who have been rejected from banks and consulting firms who have slashed hiring, as well as students who have been encouraged by the downturn to pursue career options in different fields. Panels on careers in alternative energy and the arts, a panel on dealing with rejection, and a workshop geared toward adjusting your plans if an offer falls through are just several of the events being sponsored or co-sponsored by OCS this April. Additionally, the new “Crimson Careers” jobs and internships database does much to streamline the process of searching and applying for jobs and internships outside of eRecruiting.

The effect of these structural changes and additional offerings is profound: OCS is finally effectively assessing the needs of all undergraduates, not just those who are interested in finance and consulting. In addressing those students “displaced” by the economic downturn, it has improved its service and effectiveness on the whole. Although it is unfortunate that it took an economic crisis to get to this point, it is refreshing that the whole gamut of student concerns is now being taken under consideration.