Young Selected To Head Schools

Interim Superintendent Carolyn Turk passed over for post

By Sofia E. Groopman and Michelle L. Quach, Crimson Staff Writerss

In a contentious decision that some community members called racially charged, the Cambridge Public School Committee chose as its new superintendent an outsider—Jeffrey M. Young, head of Newton Public Schools—over longtime Cambridge resident and Interim Superintendent Carolyn L. Turk.

The school committee voted 5-2 for Young, who is white, in a public meeting last night, with only Mayor E. Denise Simmons and Alfred F. Fantini supporting Turk, who is black.

The decision marks the end of a nationwide search that began in December, one month after former Superintendent Thomas D. Fowler-Finn’s early departure.

The choice polarized those present, with some of Turk’s supporters alleging the decision had racial motivations.

Three-quarters of those present at the vote stood up and left the room when Young’s selection was announced.

Young’s supporters cited his qualifications and outsider perspective, while detractors questioned his ability to manage a district far more racially and socio-economically stratified than Newton.

Parent Sarah G. Bell said she believes Young is a “sophisticated” and “sensitive” individual whose extensive experience with budgets was especially appealing.

“He has articulated that he’s going to listen for quite a while and learn, which I think is a critical piece of any outsider’s ability to succeed in Cambridge,” she said.

But other community members said they were displeased with the school committee’s choice.

“I watched the school committee take Cambridge back 30 years,” said Kathy A. Reddick, president of the Cambridge NAACP, who added that she thought the decision was insulting. “All she’s good enough to be is an assistant?”

Over a third of students in Cambridge public schools are black, according to the district’s Web site.

Some parents at the meeting said they thought race was a significant issue in selection process.

Renae D. Gray, whose children graduated from the city’s public schools, pointed out that racial minorities have limited representation on the school committee. Simmons is the body’s only black member.

“When people deny that it’s not about race, it is, it always is,” she said. “Dr. Young was very articulate and presented well, things that most white people like. He spoke their language. He related to them.”

School committee member Luc D. Schuster said in an interview last week that although race is often an unavoidable factor, it would be simplistic to ignore other aspects of the candidates.

“I would hope no one’s decision is driven solely by race,” he said. “I haven’t heard any members say that they’re voting because of someone’s race.”

But some residents said they felt the school committee did not give sufficient weight to Turk’s Cambridge roots.

“Lifelong service to this city doesn’t mean a damn thing because they’ll screw you,” said Charles L. Stead, Sr., a former principal in the district. “Understand that is the sentiment that is going to be felt by most of the blacks in this city.”

Fantini, who has served on the committee for 12 terms, said he thought Turk deserved to be superintendent.

“The staff and the teachers in the school system will be totally demoralized,” he said.

None of the other committee members could be reached for comment after last night’s vote.

—Staff writer Sofia E. Groopman can be reached at segroopm@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Michelle L. Quach can be reached at mquach@fas.harvard.edu.