Barry A. Shafrin ’09

By Asli A. Bashir, Crimson Staff Writer

In a theater circuit where everyone is about the same age, Barry A. Shafrin ’09 is often cast in younger roles—and it’s easy to see why: with boyish features, a slender build, and an open, charming smile, he exudes youth. But in the world of Harvard drama, Shafrin is anything but green.

During his tenure with Harvard-Radcliffe Dramatic Club, the 22-year-old has served as director, producer, dramaturg, and stage manager. Shafrin has played central parts in many shows over the years, notably in an acclaimed role as Tobias in last spring’s Loeb Mainstage play, “Sweeney Todd.”

While his true calling is on the stage, Shafrin has proved capable behind the scenes. His sophomore year, Shafrin executive-produced a showing of “Bright Lights, Big City” that received national attention, and this past fall, he directed a production of “Nine” at the New College Theater. “Playing the role of director was definitely something very memorable and I’m really glad that I did it,” he says of mobilizing a 50-member crew in “Nine.”

Shafrin has also been a leading man offstage. The senior has served on the boards of HRDC and City Step, and is currently co-president of the Sunken Garden Childrens’ Theater. SGCT is a 13-year-old Harvard troupe that performs free 20-minute shows from original scripts that are open to the public. Shafrin has been involved in the theater since freshman year and considers the project a therapeutic break from the daily grind. “It’s very low-key,” says Shafrin, “there’s a lot of people in Cambridge who come back every year and it’s a lot of fun.”

Though the Milwaukee native made an early entrée into the arts, when he arrived at Harvard, he hoped to explore the world outside of theater. Plans changed, however, after his first experience with the Freshman Arts Program—which caused Shafrin to instantly identify with the theater community.

Even though Shafrin continued on the theatrical path, the versatile actor has made a career at Harvard by broadening his boundaries, albeit in an unconventional way. His first professional voice training came only after landing a role in the Krokodiloes, Harvard’s premier all-male a cappella group. And Shafrin’s most recent stage role was also his drag debut. He played Juno, a pregnant, Sunny-D-swigging adolescent oracle, in the Hasty Pudding Theatricals’ burlesque, “Acropolis Now.” “I definitely felt like I didn’t know what I was doing,” he says. In spite of circumstances, the actor met with positive reviews.

Shafrin is quick to say that he hasn’t navigated the Harvard Drama circuit alone: his blockmates and close friends are also theater mainstays. And though he eschews discussing his own strengths onstage—opting to talk about himself as the product of an encouraging environment instead—his roommate and co-president of SGCT, Alison H. Rich ’09, points to a wealth of innate talent.

“I think what’s wonderful about Barry,” Rich says, “[is] he has a good sense of who he is as an artist, what he can bring to the table. “

Next year, Shafrin plans to move to New York City and embark on a new chapter in his theatrical career, and friends say the skills he demonstrates in Cambridge will be assets in the City. “I think Barry is really secure in his talents,” Rich says. “He’s extremely talented, and brings a very chill, fun, confident vibe to any show that he is involved in.”

—Staff writer Asli A. Bashir can be reached at bashir@fas.harvard.edu.