Tricks of the Trade

By Madeleine M. Schwartz, Crimson Staff Writer

Clay D. Miller ’10, President of the Harvard Magic Society, refers to what his society does as “illusions.” Then he pauses. “They’re tricks, not illusions,” he says.

Founded in 2001, the Magic Society currently counts about half a dozen active members, each an expert in a different kind of magic. On Saturday, the group will enchant audiences both young and old with their craft in the annual Arts First Magic Show.

The group has talent, Miller says, and past shows have been very successful. “It is always a lot of fun,” he says. Members lose and find coins and cards in ways that often take years to learn. One former Harvard magician, Harrison R. Greenbaum ’08 has even become a professional in New York.

But the logistics of this year’s show bring new challenges, Miller says. Instead of at their usual location in the Science Center, the Society will be practicing their craft outside, on the steps of Memorial Church. This changes particulars of the performance. “We are good at magic that is close up and personal,” Jeff F. Solnet ’12, a member of the Society, says. “The challenge is bringing some of these effects to a large audience.”

Miller agrees. “Inside, the audience is seated and you can build on what you are doing. In an outdoor location, however, “You need to catch people’s attention who are walking by.”

Commanding a crowd should be a no problem for the group, which Miller describes as often “larger than life.” “I like to try to be hokey, especially for the kids,” Miller says. Accordingly, the tricks performed—cards going blank, disappearing coins and rope tricks—draw from the familiar canon of magic deeds.

The mixed audience, made up of both Harvard students and local families, dictates a wide-ranging spectacle. “We try to keep it fun for everybody,” Miller says. “We don’t tell any dirty jokes.”

—Staff writer Madeleine M. Schwartz can be reached at mschwart@fas.harvard.edu.