Katherine G. Mims ’09 and Mark E. Crocker ’09

By Victoria B. Kabak, Crimson Staff Writer

For one couple, the basement of The Fox is about more than just dance parties or drinking games.

During reading period in January of their freshman year, Katherine G. Mims ’09 and Mark E. Crocker ’09 met at The Fox—and in Mims’ own words, it was “totally sketchy.”

“We had so many friends in common, but we had never officially met,” Crocker said.

In fact, Mims even found a picture taken on his cell phone before they had met of her standing on the John Harvard statue.

They have been a couple since that January and will wed next June outside of Richmond, Va., after they each complete their first year of graduate school.

In over three years of dating, Mims and Crocker have studied abroad together for a semester in St. Andrew’s, Scotland, and spent three long days crabbing and taught themselves how to shuck crabs. And, the two claim they make a fierce Beirut team.

Mims has not one but two engagement rings. When Crocker asked for her parents’ permission over the summer, they told him to ask them again in a month, at which point he gave her a family heirloom ring. After asking her parents again and receiving their blessing, Crocker proposed—with another ring—on a bench across from Weeks Bridge on their first night back at school this year.

Next fall, Mims will begin law school at the University of Virginia, while Crocker starts dentistry studies at Virginia Commonwealth University.