University Delivers On Allston Benefits

Benefits were outlined in an agreement signed with the City of Boston last April

By Peter F. Zhu, Crimson Staff Writer

While fiscal constraints may have forced Harvard to slow construction of its Allston Science Complex, the University has thus far continued delivering the community benefits attached to the project, as outlined in Harvard’s Cooperation Agreement signed with the City of Boston last April.

Earlier this spring, the University delivered a $383,865 check to Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino, the first of two payments to the City aimed at promoting neighborhood job training.

According to University spokeswoman Lauren Marshall, a second funding installment of the same amount is due in January.

“We remain firmly committed to supporting job training development in Boston,” said Christopher M. Gordon, chief operating officer for Harvard’s Allston Development Group, in a University press release. “This investment is a continuation of our important partnership with the city of Boston.”

The Cooperation Agreement required the University to provide $25 million worth of community benefits to Allston in order to proceed with construction.

The Agreement was approved through an expedited process after the University argued that the Science Complex was needed to support groundbreaking research, including stem cell science.

According to the University’s statement, Harvard is expected to provide the City with additional payments for housing initiatives as well.

In early April, Harvard and the Boston Redevelopment Authority launched the Harvard Allston Partnership Fund, which will provide $500,000 in grants over the next five years to fund community improvement projects that foster neighborhood improvement, cultural enrichment, and educational programs in Allston. The deadline for neighborhood non-profits to submit grant proposals for the upcoming year ended April 30.

Harvard’s Allston Education Portal, established last summer as part of the Cooperation Agreement, has been one of the University’s most popular neighborhood initiatives.

It currently provides mentoring for local students from undergraduates, a series of lectures from Harvard professors, and summer science clubs and scholarships.

Later this month, Harvard will open for the second year its Allston Farmers’ Market, which will be located at the intersection of North Harvard St. and Western Ave. and aims to support local farms and bakers.

—Staff writer Peter F. Zhu can be reached at pzhu@fas.harvard.edu.