Kagan Returns to HLS

Solicitor General urges graduating class to seize new economic climate

By Athena Y. Jiang, Crimson Staff Writer

U.S. Solicitor General Elena Kagan introduced herself as just a “fellow graduate” upon her return to Harvard Law School yesterday, where she served as dean from 2003 until her Senate confirmation in March,

As dean, Kagan built a legacy of student-oriented reform initiatives, As the Law School’s class day speaker, she placed the final seal on her deanship and urged the graduating class to seize the opportunities that have arisen from the economic recession.

In her speech, Kagan offered career advice to a Law School class whose job searches were hit hard by the troubles on Wall Street—where many prestigious law firms have traditionally generated business—and whose attentions have increasingly turned to public service.

“I know some of you might have thought in the last year or so, you and this class sort of drew the short straw,” said Kagan, who graduated from the Law School in 1986. “But within all this difficulty there is also incredible potential and promise, and yours is the task of finding that promise by remaking the world.”

Law School students have often been too risk-averse or too unwilling to take chances in the past, Kagan said—especially in a past when major law firms offered job security and six-figure salaries. As a result, the economic turmoil might have the beneficial side-effect of causing graduates to think through what career choices would be most fulfilling, she said.

Kagan extended two other pieces of tried and true advice to the degree candidates—to cultivate personal relationships, and to learn to listen to others in addition to simply arguing with them.

“Nobody ever learned anything when they’re talking,” Kagan said. “You only learn something when your ears are open, not when your mouth is open.”

One Law School graduate said he was somewhat underwhelmed by the former dean’s remarks, as even she acknowledged that being the final speaker at yesterday’s class day ceremony meant repeating the sentiments of earlier speakers.

“I was expecting something more original, especially coming from her,” said Olivier J. Metzger, a master of laws candidate.

But many graduates said they were happy to see Kagan take part in the ceremonies marking their last days as Law School students. Juelle J. Gomes, who will receive a J.D., called the sight of Kagan behind the podium a “nostalgic” moment.

“She was such a presence around the Law School and really did so much to enrich student life,” Gomes said. “They couldn’t have picked a better speaker.”

—Staff writer Athena Y. Jiang can be reached at ajiang@fas.harvard.edu.