Happy Study Card Day: The Barry Kane Edition

•
Turn in your study card. Now.
Turn in your study card. Now.

In celebration of the auspicious occasion on which you contractually obligate the next 12 weeks of your life to this venerable institution, FlyBy has dug up the dirt on the man who makes it all possible: Barry S. Kane.

Harvard's international man of mystery, Kane came to be the Faculty of Arts and Sciences' registrar, from the ivory dungeon that is our arch rival: Yale University. Then and now he was rarely seen, but often heard.

You've probably gotten at least one email from this legend of the Ivies--shaming you into filling out that last Q guide evaluation form or threatening to slap you with a hefty $50 late registration fee if you try to squeeze in one last day out of your summer vacay.

But for those of you who are dying of curiosity, FlyBy is here to help. As the Yale Herald once wrote in 2003, "You may not know his face, but he has one of the most famous names on campus." We've dug up a dusty portrait of the handsome gent after the jump.

If only we had known that Mr. Kane rose to prominence in Yale's registrar's office by spearheading its transition to the then-unknown "interweb," we would have been able to predict the inevitable disappearance of the Tolstoy-sized course catalog that we've enjoyed for so long. Kane piloted a move to online course selection at Yale before doing the same at Harvard.

Fun fact: Mr. Kane is also lifelong singer and pianist.

Now, if we turn in our study cards on time today, can we request a song?

Photo: Courtesy The Yale Herald.

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.