Defensive Battle Against Terriers Results in Another Defeat for Harvard

By Alex Sopko, Crimson Staff Writer

As summer came to an official end this past weekend, so too did a losing streak.

Just not Harvard’s.

On Sunday night at Nickerson Field across the river, Boston University (3-4-2) gave the Crimson (1-5-1) another preseason loss in front of 244 fans and those watching on Fox Soccer Channel.

For Harvard, Sunday was a chance to end the preseason on a good note after losing three games in a row—including Friday’s 4-1 beating at the hands of No. 4 Boston College. The Terriers felt the same way. Coming off of its own three-game losing streak against Connecticut, No. 23 Pennsylvania State, and Northeastern, BU proved that it wanted to win, shutting out the Crimson, 1-0.

“[We] struggled, fought through it, really responded at the end of the game, so I was proud of them for that, but we need to have a commitment to come in and play all 90 [minutes],” said Harvard coach Ray Leone.

Commitment seemed hard for both teams in the beginning of the first half, with the lone goal coming 32 minutes into the game.

BU sophomore Jessica Luscinski took a shot on goal that was deflected by a Crimson defender.

But the ball failed to clear far enough, and Terrier freshman Megan McGoldrick charged in, shooting her first career goal past the fingertips of Harvard senior Lauren Mann. Mann stopped three more attempts in the first half, as BU outshot the Crimson, 8-3, for the half.

One goal down, Harvard attempted to tie it up a minute later with a shot by senior Christina Hagner, but it bounced right into the hands of Terrier goalie Janie Reilly to end the half.

“I think we adjusted our system and came back out [in the second half] ready to go, ready to play,” said Mann. “Personally, everyone knew what changes they needed to make and what the team needed to do as a whole.”

The one big opportunity for the Crimson to even up play came in the second half with 18 minutes left. Freshman Alexandra Conigliaro shot a pass to team-goal leader Katherine Sheeleigh, who booted it toward the net, and Reilly’s fingertips which managed to knock the ball out.

“At the end, they were flooding players forward,” BU goalkeeper Reilly said. “The whole [Terriers] defensive team did a great job holding them off from being completely bombarded.”

BU continued to withstand the bombardment as Harvard senior co-captain Gina Wideroff headed the ball over the Terrier’s cross bar.

Later in the half, BU tried to double its score, but Mann’s five total saves of the night stopped the Terriers and put her 11 saves away from being 4th on Harvard’s all-time career list.

Despite Mann’s saves, BU outshot the Crimson, 15-7, during the match. Opponents have outscored Harvard, 14-6, this season.

“We know we need to come off with more intensity, more energy,” Mann said. “We need to fly off the line right from the get-go, because when you get to the Ivy League, you want to get ahead.”

At 0-4 on the road this preseason, Harvard is looking forward to playing at home next weekend as it opens up Ivy League play against the Penn, which has dominated the Crimson the past two years.

“I don’t think anybody is thrilled being 1-5-1 but we are starting over now,” Leone said. “Learn from this experience, and start over on Saturday. They are a resilient group, and I trust in this team very much.”

—Staff writer Alex Sopko can be reached at sopko@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Soccer