Harbor Winds

By Neal W. Leavitt, None

The city of Hull, Mass., has constructed two large wind turbines along its coast. These wind turbines provide 11 percent of Hull’s electricity needs per year. The city of Hull is also planning to build an offshore wind farm. If completed, these wind turbines could provide more than 90 percent of Hull’s electricity needs.

The city of Cambridge should pursue a renewable wind-energy strategy that mimicks the successes of the city of Hull. There is no reason why Cambridge cannot receive 20 or 30 percent of its energy from offshore wind farms. However, it is clear that Cambridge and Hull are differently situated. Building an offshore wind farm that provides renewable energy for Cambridge will require another strategy.

To this end, Cambridge should consider forming a “Wind Alliance” with surrounding municipalities. The purpose of this Wind Alliance is to pool the resources of Cambridge, the state government, the federal government, the private renewable-energy sector, and other municipalities to build wind farms off the coast in areas of high wind potential.

There are many benefits associated with such a project. Offshore wind farms will provide clean energy to the city of Cambridge and surrounding municipalities. As a consequence, wind farms will substantially reduce the region’s carbon dioxide emissions. Also, the costs of fossil fuels are volatile and subject to increasing world demand: By deriving more energy from wind farms, residents will be protected from fluctuations in oil and natural gas prices. Another key benefit is that the construction of an offshore wind farm would serve as a form of economic stimulus to the region. In particular, the project will provide opportunities for long-lasting employment across a range of skills and occupations.

Certainly, a project of this size poses many challenges. The financing of projects of this magnitude requires careful planning. There must be coordination between all levels of government and the private energy sector. Of greatest importance is the choice of site. Still, the possibility exists for Cambridge and other municipalities to construct multiple wind farms in the outer reaches of Boston Harbor.

Recently, the administration of Deval L. Patrick ’78 presented a draft wind-energy plan. This plan would allow wind farms to be constructed in state waters along the coast, away from environmentally sensitive areas. The federal government is also actively supporting wind projects throughout the country. Plus, the Waxman-Markey bill—if passed—will cap carbon dioxide emissions. The blueprint for wind-energy production has been put in place. It is time to start making more definite plans.

Tonight, the Cambridge City Council will meet to discuss climate change and greenhouse-gas emissions. In my opinion, now is the time for the city to consider an offshore wind farm. By constructing offshore wind farms in the outer reaches of Boston Harbor, the region will position itself to meet the requirements of the pending Waxman-Markey bill—or other future federal legislation that caps greenhouse-gas emissions.

An offshore wind farm for Cambridge also makes good financial sense. Instead of purchasing and burning fossil fuels to produce energy and greenhouse gas emissions, Cambridge can receive clean energy indefinitely with no fuel costs. In fact, the city of Hull’s initial investment in a wind turbine was paid off in five years—in large part through savings in fuel costs. Cambridge will save money in the long term by investing in an offshore wind farm.

The city of Cambridge collects, treats, and distributes its own water to residents; we successfully utilize our watershed on a daily basis. Why shouldn’t we receive our energy from nearby winds? A local approach to generating power is ultimately more sustainable. It is better than importing and burning fossil fuels.

Offshore wind farms are common in Europe. The town of Hull has successfully operated municipal wind turbines for several years. Cambridge and other municipalities can do so too, with careful thought and planning.

Neal W. Leavitt ’96 is a candidate for Cambridge City Council.