A Closer Look at 'King Coal'

By David R. Mould, None

To the editors:

The September 2 opinion piece “Old King Coal” (Op-ed, ANTHONY P. DEDOUSIS) contained errors about the impact of the ash spill at the Tennessee Valley Authority’s Kingston Fossil Plant. TVA is responsible for the spill and its clean-up, and we would like your readers to have the facts:

Of the 300 acres of land and water covered by the spilled ash, all but eight acres are part of the plant and reservoir property managed by TVA. Three homes were structurally damaged. TVA is dredging the river to remove the ash as quickly as possible and will work with the community to develop a long-term plan for disposition of the remaining ash.

While no exact account of effects on wildlife is possible, about 200 fish were stranded by the spill’s initial surge; many other smaller organisms, including bottom-dwellers, were likely impacted by the ash. However, no evidence supports the numbers in your opinion piece.

Also contrary to statements there, public and private drinking water supplies in the area continue to meet government standards for drinking water quality.

Fly ash contains small amounts of toxic substances—about the same as well-fertilized garden soil. According to health officials, the major risks to human health are irritation from breathing the ash or handling the ash, which can be minimized by avoiding contact with the material and washing exposed skin and clothing.

TVA continues to comply with the regulations that govern ash storage, and we will comply with any future regulations. We have identified the root causes of the spill and are taking action to prevent such an incident from ever happening again.

Please let us know whenever you need information about TVA or its operations. We do our best to respond to media inquiries quickly and accurately.

DAVID R. MOULD

Knoxville, TN

September 4, 2009

David R. Mould is the Senior Vice President of Communications of the Tennessee Valley Authority.