Grapplers Split First Dual Competitions

Co-captain J.P. O'Connor earned three wins over the weekend, boosting his season record to 17-0 and maintaining his top national ranking at 157 lbs.
By Max N. Brondfield, Crimson Staff Writer

With a number of injuries making the success of Harvard wrestling uncertain, the squad emerged from its first weekend of dual meets to prove one thing—the Crimson will not go down without a fight. Harvard (1-1-1) split its slate of contests, topping Franklin & Marshall, 29-15, and falling to Rutgers, 29-14, on Friday before tying Hofstra, 20-20, yesterday.

“We didn’t wrestle well [Friday], but I’m excited how some guys turned it around [Saturday],” Crimson coach Jay Weiss said. “They were a lot better and showed more enthusiasm.”

HARVARD 20, HOFSTRA 20

The energy that Weiss observed on the mat in Saturday’s contest against the Pride will prove crucial for the Crimson as the dual season unfolds, given the number of sidelined grapplers. Harvard bounced back from its loss to Rutgers by winning four of the eight bouts contested at the Mack Sports Complex, but with heavyweight Spencer DeSena out due to a skin infection, the Crimson forfeited the final matchup and settled for a tie.

“We probably should have beaten [Hofstra],” co-captain J.P. O’Connor said. “We pushed them to the limit…everyone went out and fought…but it hurt to lose the six points.”

O’Connor—ranked No. 1 in the nation at 157 lbs.—earned a 6-1 decision over No. 19 Jonny Bonilla-Bowman to cap an undefeated weekend and push his record to 17-0.

Fellow co-captain No. 10 Louis Caputo (184) also completed a flawless weekend, dominating Anthony Tortora for a 9-1 major decision that extended Harvard’s lead to 20-10 with two bouts remaining.

“[Caputo] looks good, he’s firing on all cylinders,” O’Connor said. “It’s really great to have him back in the mix, especially with us being banged up. He’s one of the best in the country.”

Unfortunately for the Crimson, Hofstra responded with a major decision of its own at 197 lbs., yielding a tie after the heavyweight forfeit.

Nonetheless, Weiss pointed to a number of strong efforts that bode well for his small squad. In addition to the sustained excellence of Harvard’s co-captains, rookie Steven Keith (125) completed an undefeated weekend despite moving up a weight class. The freshman earned a 12-2 major decision at 133 lbs. over Jeff Rotella.

Junior Michael Sadler (165) also enjoyed a solid night, notching a 13-6 victory for his first win of the season.

RUTGERS 29, HARVARD 14

The Crimson could not close out Friday as well as the day began, falling to the Scarlet Knights in Newark, N.J. Freshman Tony Buxton (141) provided a boost for Harvard, opening the match with an 11-0 major decision. Coupled with a 6-3 decision for Keith, the rookies demonstrated their full potential.

“It’s been fun to see the [younger wrestlers] mature,” Weiss said. “Especially for Steven and Tony, I expect some big things, because they’re not wrestling like freshmen, they’re wrestling as well as I knew they could.”

Caputo (8-2) also stepped up with a 10-1 major decision, and O’Connor managed a narrow 3-2 win to preserve his top ranking and undefeated season. Despite a stellar start to his senior campaign, O’Connor emphasized that there is room for improvement.

“I’ve always been really tough on top and bottom…but I’m working on getting my offense going,” he said. “I’m trying to let loose and show more of what I really have…just trying to get myself to wrestle to my potential.”

While Caputo and O’Connor certainly did their part Friday, Rutgers rode two pins and two major decisions to put the match out of reach.

HARVARD 29, FRANKLIN & MARSHALL 15

The Crimson opened its dual season with a bang, earning two pins and a technical fall to win its first match as a team. Harvard was rarely threatened, as the Diplomats forfeited the first two weight classes and nullified the Crimson’s disadvantage with a mutual forfeit at heavyweight.

O’Connor and Buxton notched impressive pins, downing their opponents in 2:30 and 2:00, respectively. Caputo also added a dominant performance, posting a 16-0 technical fall over Matt Latessa.

“Caputo was strong as ever,” Weiss said. “He’s just going to keep rolling.”

If Harvard continues to get such strong performances from its top individuals, the squad has the potential to keep rolling as well.

—Staff writer Max N. Brondfield can be reached at mbrondf@fas.harvard.edu.

Wrestling