Track Racks Up Six Wins At Invite

By Max N. Brondfield, Crimson Staff Writer

As more of the Harvard track and field team rounds into shape this winter season, a number of individuals have seen their efforts pay off.

The Crimson returned home to compete at the Gordon Indoor Track and Tennis Center for the first time this year, posting six wins and earning an ECAC and IC4A qualification at the Harvard Invitational Saturday.

“I think [we] feel comfortable at home...with training there day after day,” Crimson coach Jason Saretsky said. “[The meet] turned out to be just what we needed—a good competition in a low-key environment.”

Although a number of distance runners continued to rest, those who did don the Harvard uniform this weekend performed well against the biggest field that the Crimson will face all season. Of the over 525 entries, six resulted in Harvard victories, three on the men’s side and three for the women.

Perhaps the most impressive performance of the day belonged to junior Darcy Wilson, whose time of 2:29.95 earned him first place in the men’s 1000-meter race, as well as an invitation to IC4As. Wilson battled until the final moment, holding off Andrew MacIsaac of Boston College by just .02 seconds.

“[Wilson] is a tough kid, he runs hard no matter what you put him in,” co-captain Jack Brady said. “That [race] was right in his wheelhouse.”

Brady continued his own dominance in the weight throw. The IC4A qualifier hurled 18.31 meters, a full .45 meters ahead of the nearest competitor and 1.91 meters farther than any other collegiate athlete. Brady also claimed third in the shot put.

“Jack Brady had a great day,” Saretsky said. “He qualified for IC4As in the weight throw and shot put and I’m really pleased with that. He had just a huge throw in the weight.”

The final Crimson winner on the men’s side was rookie Jeff Homer, who captured the 500-meter title in 1:05.29. Sophomore Jared Squires finished second in the event, but the race proved even more fruitful for the Harvard women, as the squad earned four of the top seven spots. Freshman Melissa Bellin and sophomore Lauren Leon placed third and fourth to pace the Crimson, and the two runners showed even more promise in the 400. Bellin and Leon teamed with sophomore Shannon Conway and freshman Jasmine Cho to win the 4x400-meter relay by over two seconds, in 4:00.58.

“It was a real good race for them,” Saretsky said. “We put together four strong legs and that group’s training has been going well. They will continue to get better and better and it will be a lot of fun to see how they match up in the Ivy League.”

Including the two rookies who propelled the relay team, Harvard’s first-years provided a tremendous boost to the squad on Saturday.

Freshmen Ashtynn Baltimore and Olivia Weeks won the 60-meter hurdles and triple jump, respectively, while classmates Sydnie Leroy and Meghan Ferreira took second in the pole vault and third in the 60-meter hurdles.

Baltimore’s time of 8.80 seconds qualified her for ECACs, while Weeks claimed her first victory at the collegiate level.

“Anytime we have freshmen winning events is great,” Brady said. “It can be tough sometimes for guys jumping right in...but this [meet] was one of those stepping stones. Everyone is doing really well.”

But regardless of class year, Crimson competitors up and down the roster enjoyed strong performances. Junior Dina Emde finished second in the women’s high jump—first among collegiate athletes—at 1.65 meters, with freshman Mary Hirst just behind her in third.

On the men’s side, junior Sean Gil and sophomore Tyler Funk placed second in the pole vault and high jump, respectively, and rookie Kenneth Wan Kan posted a pair of solid showings, finishing third in the long jump and triple jump.

With so many outstanding efforts, Brady showed excitement that for the first time in his career, Harvard can boast about its depth.

“When I was a freshman we didn’t even have sprinters,” Brady said. “It’s exciting to see everyone get out there. They’re competing and contributing, which is really good.”

—Staff writer Max N. Brondfield can be reached at mbrondf@fas.harvard.edu.

Track and Cross Country