Akpan and Nyamekye Selected in MLS SuperDraft

Akpan picked by Colorado in second round; Nyamekye taken by Columbus

Senior Andre Akpan, who graduated in December, was drafted in the second round of the MLS SuperDraft last week.
By Mauricio A. Cruz, Crimson Staff Writer

It’s not common to have two Ivy League athletes hear their names called during a professional sports draft. It’s especially rare to have two players from the same school join the professional ranks on the same day. But for seniors Andre Akpan and Kwaku Nyamekye, rarity has become reality.

On Jan. 14, during the 2010 MLS SuperDraft in Philadelphia, Penn., Akpan was selected in the second round (22nd overall) by the Colorado Rapids. 2008 MLS Cup Champions Columbus Crew selected Nyamekye with the team’s first pick in the fourth round (60th overall).

During the All-Ivy pair’s tenure at Harvard, the duo led the Crimson to 52 wins, four consecutive NCAA tournament appearances, and two Ivy League championships over a four-year span.

Akpan, who was projected as a first-round selection before his MLS Combine performance caused his draft stock to decline, remained relatively upbeat after waiting to hear his name called.

“It’s a dream come true,” Akpan said moments after having thanked his family, teammates, and coaches on stage. “Every [player] will tell you that the day they can stand up on that podium and be welcomed to a team in MLS.”

“I’m so excited for a new challenged and anxious to start training with the team,” Akpan added. “I’m grateful for Colorado to take a chance on me.”

Although Akpan racked up impressive accolades as a forward in college, he will join a Rapids club that is already loaded with top striking talent. Forwards Conor Casey—a member of the U.S. Men’s National Team—and Omar Cummings had 24 goals and 13 assists between them during MLS play last season. But the Rapids expect Akpan to mix in well with their current roster and hope to provide him with ample learning experience.

“I think the opportunity that Andre has in front of him is a great one,” said Colorado Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo. “He is going to be learning from two of the best forwards in the league, and Andre has a combination of [Casey’s and Cummings’] skill sets.”

Despite being passed over by every team in the first round, Colorado, which did not have a first-round selection, jumped at the opportunity to select Akpan with its first selection in the draft.

“I don’t think we could’ve drawn it up any better,” Bravo explained. “To have guys like Andre and Ross LaBauex [the University of Virginia midfielder who the team selected right after Akpan] drop to the second round, you have to take advantage. We think we’ve struck gold with out first two picks.”

Akpan’s spot on the roster will be secure as the Hermann Trophy finalist signed a pre-draft contract with MLS. With the Rapids facing the possibility of losing Casey for an extended time if he is selected for this summer’s FIFA World Cup, Akpan may be able to provide depth and get some minutes off the bench.

“We look for a certain skill set, a body type to fit with what we’re trying to do as a club,” Bravo said. “Akpan is a big, aggressive guy who is good with his back towards goal, courageous, and a good finisher. Those are the qualities we look to in a forward.”

Colorado finished the 2009 season tied for the eighth and final playoff spot, but lost out on tiebreakers to the eventual champion, Real Salt Lake.

Nyamekye entered college as a forward from Switzerland but in a few months will be contending for a spot on an American professional soccer club as a defender. The four-time All-Ivy defender joins a Crew club with a recent history of drafting Ivy alums.

Columbus selected University of Pennsylvania product Alex Grendi last year. A long shot to make the final roster, Grendi played in three games for the club last season and recorded one assist.

Nyamekye impressed at the MLS Combine with his combination of physical prowess and raw talent, but speculation that he would seek professional offers in Europe pushed his draft stock down.

Reports out of Scotland suggest that Nyamekye has been offered a trial with storied Scottish club Rangers FC, but it has not been confirmed. Nyamekye could not be reached for comment.

This marks the second consecutive year that two Ancient Eight players were selected in the MLS SuperDraft—last year Grendi and Michael Fucito ’08-’09 carried the Ivy torch. Akpan is the second-highest Crimson player to be drafted—Will Kohler ’97 was selected 15th overall by the MetroStars in 1997—and the fifth Harvard player all-time to be drafted. Nyamekye is the first Crimson defensive player to be selected.

—Staff writer Mauricio A. Cruz can be reached at cruz2@fas.harvard.edu.

FeaturesMen's Soccer