Harvard Bodybuilders Unite

(From left to right) Jordan R. Milan '12, Ge (Andy) Zhang '13, and Hugh G. Martin '12, enjoy snacks while listening intently to the upcoming plans for Harvard's Body Building Club including practice schedules, and fundraising efforts.
By Jane Seo, Contributing Writer

Anand N. Bhatt ’12 and Peter R. Swiatek ’12 have a lot in common—the two met freshman year and are now blockmates in Eliot House who both keep up with NFL and college football, are both premed, and both love to work out.

The duo came up with a way to share that hobby: the Harvard Bodybuilding Club, an organization open to all members of the College community interested in fitness.

“The aim of the club is, you set whatever goal you want to reach and everyone encourages you to achieve that goal,” Swiatek said.

“Since we go to the [Malkin Athletic Center] every day, we thought we might as well form an organization,” Swiatek said. “It’d be like having a workout buddy.”

Bhatt and Swiatek received good feedback from friends and decided to forward the idea to the Office of Student Life. After filing paperwork and combing through documents to make sure similar clubs did not already exist, the proposal was granted and the Harvard Bodybuilding Club became a recognized organization.

Carl L. Miller, Eliot House tutor and faculty adviser of the club, said there is a benefit to working out in a group.

“Weight lifting is not easy; it’s tough. It’s helpful to have other people to support and encourage you,” Miller said.

As a former football player at Tuskegee University, Miller said, he has the experience to help club members learn workout techniques and make the organization a success.

“We want people to realize the joy of weight lifting and being in shape,” he said.

At an introductory meeting last Friday, the co-presidents, along with Miller and four prospective members, gathered around a round table in Eliot House to discuss the club’s purpose and their individual goals.

“I want to achieve that ideal of having a nice, fit body,” Ge Zhang ’13 said. Zhang added that he has been lifting intensely for the past three months and wants to learn more about proper techniques.

Another prospective member, Jordan R. Milan ’11, said that weight lifting has been his hobby since he was 16. Milan said he hopes the club will provide a forum to meet and talk to other people interested in fitness, training, and diet.

“It will be a good opportunity to help each other with goals and give advice,” Milan said.

Bhatt and Swiatek plan on having the members work out together two to three times a week and teaching people about proper weight lifting. They said they also hope to invite dieticians and professional body builders, as well as organize mixers and fundraisers throughout the year.

Swiatek emphasized that the club is open for all—beginning and advanced weight lifters alike.

“A lot of people are probably intimidated by the idea of joining a bodybuilding club,” Swiatek said, “but we want and welcome people of all physical shapes and lifting background.”

“Harvard Bodybuilding Club is not just about bodybuilding,” Bhatt added. “It’s also about fitness, endurance, and being toned.”

Student Groups