Four Loko Sweeps Across College Campuses

•

While beer may never be replaced as the quintessential party beverage, it now has some serious competition. A combination of caffeine, taurine, guarana, and alcohol, Four Loko has been sweeping through college campuses across the country. The malt drink is the brainchild of three college friends who decided to capitalize on the rising popularity of mixing energy drinks and alcohol, according to manufacturer Phusion Projects’ website.

The website claims Four Loko contains less caffeine than a common tall drip coffee. However, it also contains taurine and guarana, two components commonly found in energy drinks. In conjunction with a 12.0% alcohol content (or 6.0%, depending on the state), the Four Loko packs a swift and potentially dangerous punch. Not surprisingly, Phusion Projects is facing scrutiny from several state attorney generals for misleading marketing.  Not to mention, the nutrition information is noticeably missing from both the can and the website…

Four Loko is sold in nine different flavors, including Grape, Fruit Punch, Orange Blend, Watermelon, Blue Raspberry, Lemonade, Cranberry, Cranberry Lemonade and Lemon Lime. The flamboyantly-colored 23.5 fl oz. cans are impossible to miss. You can find Four Loko at C’est Bon, which carries Blue Raspberry, Grape, and Orange Blend for a pre-tax price of $3.85.

This post does not in any way intend to promote or condone underage drinking. Should you choose to drink, please drink responsibly.

Student LifeFood and Drink

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.