New Restaurants to Open by Year’s End

By Katherine M. Savarese, Crimson Staff Writer

A welcome addition for undergraduates already tired of eating in the dining halls, six new restaurants are scheduled to open in Harvard Square by the end of December—offering students options ranging from Belgian waffles to vegetarian fast food.

Addressing rumors surrounding the vacant space at 1380 Mass. Ave.—formerly Alpha Omega Jewelers–Denise A. Jillson, executive director of the Harvard Square Business Association, said that both a Starbucks and a Pinkberry will open side by side in that location in the spring. However, according to Cambridge Commissioner of Inspectional Services Ranjit Singanayagam, Starbucks has yet to receive approval from the Board of Zoning Appeals; the company is scheduled to have a hearing before the BZA on Dec. 2. As for Pinkberry, “There’s talk of a frozen yogurt store opening up next door,” Singanayagam said.

Other establishments scheduled to debut in the near future include Bull BBQ—a Korean barbeque restaurant—which will occupy the space formerly home to Shilla Sushi at 57 JFK Street by the end of October or early November, according to Jillson.

Initially stymied by the scarcity of beer and wine licenses for sale, Bull BBQ has now obtained the proper permit and awaits approval by the Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission, Jillson said.

“We anticipate that the license will be approved and they will be opening hopefully by Head of the Charles weekend,” she added.

For students seeking healthier fare, Clover Food Lab—a permanent incarnation of the popular MIT food truck—will offer “local, just-cut” and, whenever possible, organic fast food in a restaurant setting, according to its website.  With their space at 7 Holyoke St. currently under construction, Clover has obtained a beer and wine license and is scheduled to open the first week of November, Jillson said.

Although the former site of Herrell’s Ice Cream has stood vacant since last fall, 13-15 Dunster St. will soon host the First Printer Restaurant, Bar and Grill.

While the restaurant’s sign formerly stated that First Printer would open in the spring of this year, Jillson stressed that the owners plan to begin serving by late fall, taking their time to attend to all the details.

“They want it to be very special because it’s a historic location,” she said.

Catering to anyone with a sweet tooth, Zinneken’s, set to open by the end of the year, will occupy the space at 95 Winthrop St. and offer made-to-order Belgian waffles with a variety of toppings, Jillson reported.

Rounding out the list are Enzo’s Pizzeria—taking over the former Finagle A Bagel space—and Al’s Harvard Square Cafe, a sandwich shop to open in the Holyoke Center across from Oggi, which are both scheduled to open in December, according to Jillson. Both establishments have obtained their building permits and are now under renovation.

—Staff writer Katherine M. Savarese can be reached at savarese@fas.harvard.edu.

CollegeHarvard in the CityFood and Drink