Deadline for Admissions Blog Approaches

•
After an application is completed, it is whisked away to be evaluated by admissions officers. Each file is read first by the officer who covers the area of the world from which the applicant hails; applications might then be read by as many as four other people, including professors whom the admissions office consults to better evaluate applicants’ talents in their fields. 
     Beginning on January 30, admissions officers meet in subcommittees to review applications. Though the 20 subcommittees are divided by region, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid William R. Fitzsimmons ’67 insists that “the person from Cambridge Rindge and Latin is competing with the person from Kuala Lumpur. The subcommittee is just the place to start from.”
     The applications that make it past this phase are reviewed by the full committee, which met this year from March 4 to 20 for six days each week.
After an application is completed, it is whisked away to be evaluated by admissions officers. Each file is read first by the officer who covers the area of the world from which the applicant hails; applications might then be read by as many as four other people, including professors whom the admissions office consults to better evaluate applicants’ talents in their fields. Beginning on January 30, admissions officers meet in subcommittees to review applications. Though the 20 subcommittees are divided by region, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid William R. Fitzsimmons ’67 insists that “the person from Cambridge Rindge and Latin is competing with the person from Kuala Lumpur. The subcommittee is just the place to start from.” The applications that make it past this phase are reviewed by the full committee, which met this year from March 4 to 20 for six days each week.

Just like old times, the Harvard College Admissions Office wants you to fill out another application. But this time, it will be even more selective than the last. Only 5 students will be chosen as official student bloggers featured on the admissions website, representing Harvard life to potential applicants. The office is looking for students who are willing to write for the remainder of the year.

To request an application, please e-mail Elise L. Eggart at Eggart@fas.harvard.edu. The deadline for submission is Wednesday at midnight. So if you haven’t started yours yet—hurry up before you miss your chances.

Finished applications should also be submitted to Ms. Eggart, who is a Harvard College admissions and financial aid professional.

Photo courtesy of Sharon Kim/The Harvard Crimson.

CollegeAdmissions

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.