Student Publicizes Squirrel's Woes

•

Popular Science recently ranked Cambridge as the 6th greenest city in America.  Needless to say, many were surprised by the story of the Kirkland squirrel.

Matthew J. Chartier ’12 took this picture on the Mac Quad Tuesday. It depicts a Harvard squirrel with part of a discarded plastic cup stuck around its neck. He circulated the picture over the Kirkland mailing list.

Chartier told us that he wanted this image to serve as a reminder not to litter. “It's one thing to sign a sustainability pledge in the dining hall,” reads the e-mail he sent over the list. It's another to actually take some initiative to keep our environment clean and safe for animals.”

Harvard takes pride in its environmental consciousness and sustainability efforts.  “Green is the New Crimson” has become a catchall phrase with the administration, and the Harvard Community Garden attracted flocks of visitors this weekend. Many students have signed the sustainability pledge, promising to reduce our school’s environmental impact.

But does this squirrel’s plight reflect negatively on Harvard’s eco-consciousness?  Chartier thinks it generally does not. He recognizes that most Harvard students are not thoughtless enough to litter. However, he makes the point that we should take initiative in picking up trash, and “not feel above doing something about it”.

Photo courtesy of Matthew J. Chartier ’12.

Kirkland

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.