Editorials

Let’s Make It Better

More resources should be devoted to protecting LGBT youth

By The Crimson Staff

The recent and highly publicized series of alleged suicides among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students has attracted media attention to a previously underpublicized problem facing many American teenagers: bullying on the basis of sexual orientation. As if middle school and high school were not challenging enough, the extra burden placed upon some individuals of coming to terms with their sexuality in an unfriendly and intolerant environment can be too much to face. These recent tragedies emphasize the importance of creating safe educational institutions for students of all races, socioeconomic statuses, and sexual orientations. In particular, we strongly encourage colleges, high schools, and middle schools to provide adequate resources for LGBT students, as they need welcoming communities to help stave off latent and overt bullying that makes them especially susceptible to harmful behavior and suicide.

Indeed, LGBT teens represent a particularly at-risk community among all students. A national “school climate survey” of middle and high schools in 2009 found that almost nine out of 10 LGBT teens experienced harassment at their school, and the majority reported feeling “unsafe” because of their sexual orientations. Furthermore, queer teens’ suicide rates are almost four times those of their straight classmates—a shocking an unacceptable statistic.

All people should have the right to feel safe in their schools. More money must be allocated to establish better institutionalized LGBT resources—such as LGBT coordinators or counselors—in middle and high schools. In addition, as issues of sexual orientation and gender identity often arise at an early age, it is imperative that middle school guidance counselors and teachers receive special training for dealing with these issues when they begin. As several of these recent suicides have been the result of bullying based upon the mere perception of homosexuality, it is crucial to teach tolerance, particularly of LGBT identities, to students at a very early age. Finally, it is imperative to educate children about cyberbullying and internet privacy, particularly as members of the current school-age generation seem to feel entitled to act differently and with fewer qualms when they are behind the protection of a computer screen than in real life.

Yet reforms must extend beyond the classroom. Although it is crucial for students to learn to appreciate diversity, teachers cannot prevent all the damage done to LGBT students who live in a nation filled with politicians and religious leaders who constantly employ vitriolic language when discussing homosexuality. Indeed, these public figures’ hateful rhetoric can influence children from an early age. Moreover, as of June 2010, only 17 states have laws that address discrimination or harassment based on sexual orientation in schools. There is, accordingly, much room for legal reforms.

Providing a safe space for all students is of the utmost importance for policy makers, educators, and school officials. As the tragic incidents of the past few weeks demonstrate, there is certainly room for improvement in schools across the country. On a local level, we hope that Harvard and its students will strive to continue to provide an open and safe space for all students while more widespread reform and teaching occurs.

Editorials