Trio Of Qualifiers Highlight Weekend

By Max N. Brondfield, Crimson Staff Writer

Every athlete has a different training routine, and right now for Harvard, they all seem to be working.

On a weekend that the Crimson rested many of its team members, a handful of competitors traveled to the Boston University Track and Tennis Center for the Terrier Invitational, while three women took part in the Harvard Multi-Meet, affording some a chance to post strong times while others rested in preparation for a stretch of big meets.

“For a lot of kids on the team, it’s a long season,” Crimson coach Jason Saretsky said. “Each event coach will work to pick and choose spots [to compete] so that everyone is ready when it matters most.”

Those athletes that did take part in the weekend meets certainly seemed prepared, as Harvard racked up three more ECAC qualifications and boasted a personal best.

“[The meets] went really well,” Saretsky said. “It was a good opportunity for some athletes to get in a single event and focus on putting up a mark or a time. We had some very good performances.”

Although the Crimson did not compete as a team, the squad took its ample individual success as a sign of potential for the upcoming weeks.

“As we get into this part of the season, it’s much more about the team trying to do some specific things,” Saretksy said. “Each year we’ve been getting better and better, so we’re excited about the next few [team competitions].”

TERRIER INVITATIONAL

A number of Harvard competitors found success at the large open meet held by Boston University, including three ECAC qualifiers. Junior Eliza Ives and rookie Carlyle Davis had excellent showings in the 5k and 800-meter races, respectively, joining sophomore Darcy Wilson, who earned an ECAC invite in his third event this year. Ives—competing indoors for the first time this season—sped to a 17:14.57 to take seventh place overall, more than six seconds ahead of her nearest competitor.

Davis, who has come on strong the last couple weeks, also notched a formidable time, taking second place in 2:09.44. Despite being a rookie, Davis finished only behind Olympian Erin Donohue in the 77-woman field.

The most impressive effort, though, may have come from Wilson. The second-year runner has put his versatility on display this season, surpassing ECAC marks in the 1000-meter, 800-meter, and mile runs. This weekend featured the mile for Wilson, and he did not hesitate to produce for a third straight week, taking 17th overall in 4:11.79.

“That’s just where my training is at right now,” Wilson said. “I like getting out and competing, and that’s when I’m at my best.”

Qualifying in so many events will prove a mixed blessing for Wilson, though, as the sophomore must soon choose an event to focus on in the conference meets.

“Last year the 1k was my event, so to speak,” Wilson said. “This year I ran [all three events well], so it will involve talking to the coaches about where we’re headed. It will also have to do with where my training goes from here.”

On the other hand, junior Brian Hill, sophomore John Dingus, and freshman Jeff Homer seem all quite sure of their position after top-five showings on Saturday. Hill posted a lifetime best 1:50.80 in the 800, just .63 seconds behind winner Elkana Kosgei. The second-place finish matched Hill’s effort from a week ago, marking consistently-strong showings in his third year.

Dingus and Homer were no less impressive, taking third and fifth respectively in the 500-meter race. Junior Sean Gil also earned second in the pole vault with a jump of 4.56 meters, rounding out the list of quality finishes for the Crimson.

HARVARD MULTI-MEET

Three Crimson competitors filled out a field of 10 pentathletes at Gordon Track over the weekend. Sophomores Nicole Sliva and Christine Reed bested their seeds, finishing just two points apart to take third and fourth in the event. Rookie Mary Hirst—winner in the shot put event—also took ninth in her first multi event. Dartmouth had a comparable showing at the meet, claiming first, fifth, sixth, and eighth.

—Staff writer Max N. Brondfield can be reached at mbrondf@fas.harvard.edu.

Track and Cross Country