Law Students Do Prom Night Right

Harvard Law School conjures many images for the outsider: Obama, Elle Woods, and the cutthroat student body. But last Saturday ...
By Michelle B. Timmerman

Harvard Law School conjures many images for the outsider: Obama, Elle Woods, and the cutthroat student body. But last Saturday night, the nation’s best and brightest students of the law abandoned their competitiveness for togetherness and a more “tacky” image than one would imagine.

The HLS Tacky Prom was described as “pretty objectively the best night of the year” by Jessica E. Nachman, a third-year law student and one of the event’s organizers. Aside from a conspicuous abundance of python prints and legal drinking, the HLS Tacky Prom night follows a pattern familiar to College undergrads: apparel selection, followed by pregame, party, and ending with fried food.

To begin the perfect prom experience, proper attire was key. “Bright colors are typically ideal,” said Steven J. Hurvitz, also a third-year student, who was wearing a hat made of multicolored glowsticks.

“Step two,” said Hurvitz, “is a gathering of friends before moving over to Ropes Gray. Possibly some drinks. More than likely some drinks. It’s still classy. To the extent that tacky can be classy, it’s still classy.”

Once properly liquored up, the attendees headed to prom. Ropes Gray, a large room in Pound Hall, was covered in plastic flamingos and colored streamers. “It’s a big room with a DJ and beer and people dancing,” said Hurvitz. “There isn’t a whole lot more to it.” Sounds just like a d-hall party, minus the seven-dollar entry fee.

During the dance, one couldn’t help wondering if the future president of the free world might be the guy doing the jerk in lifeguard attire, or one of the girls doing the hokey-pokey to Lady Gaga.

After 1 a.m., when prom had ended and the garish decorations had been decimated by the antics of inebriated law students, Harvard’s mecca of eternal tackiness still awaited. As first-year law student Chelsea A. Galen said, “The night is young, and the Kong is kalling—with a ‘k.’”

For The Moment