Hot Chip

"One Life Stand" (EMI) -- 4.5 STARS

By Jenya O. Godina, Crimson Staff Writer

Viewer beware: You may grow disoriented trying to keep track of whether Hot Chip frontman Alexis Taylor is Batman’s old rival the Joker or an innocent guy singing about romantic aspirations on the dance floor. However, this visual confusion just adds to the hypnotic quality of “Ready for the Floor,” another colorful video from the British dance outfit.

The first few seconds of the video position Hot Chip’s world inside a much more somber one, with rain pouring down on an uninviting gray factory. But the lights switch on and a highly asymmetrical Taylor takes control of the sound system machinery within. Quirky dance-pop furnishes the mood as confused-looking band members attempt to navigate through rooms with rotating floors and walls, alarm clocks, gift boxes, and revolvers doubling as microphones.

All these objects seem to be part of an obstacle course, appropriate for illustrating the uncertainties of love or providing the viewer with unconventional eye candy. The video is populated with beautiful, identical dancers with long, flowing hair and mini-skirts. They all seem curiously asexual, and not just because they’re completely covered in paint—their unnatural poses make them a part of the machinery. Similarly, the precise, electronic beat and catchy lyrics are fun, but there’s something inhuman about them.

And that’s part of why this song (along with images from the video) will get stuck in your head, especially if you’re dance-inclined. It may be raining somewhere, but the only thing that’s pouring inside the Hot Chip factory is bright yellow paint and some highly enjoyable music.

Music