Leaders Discuss Future J-Terms

By Melody Y. Hu and Eric P. Newcomer, Crimson Staff Writers

After what was perhaps the longest winter break in the history of Harvard College, administrators are beginning to consider options for the next January Term.

Though the College administration is still evaluating feedback from students and faculty, undergraduates across campus have articulated a desire for increased offerings during next year’s J-Term.

In an interview last week, Dean of the College Evelynn M. Hammonds said she felt the month-long January break—which she termed "an experiment"—went smoothly. She declined to give a more detailed assessment of the break until she has had an opportunity to review the results of surveys of both faculty and undergraduates regarding their January experiences.

During the interview, Hammonds said she would not rule out the possibility of academic programming during next year’s J-Term.

Some students who stayed on campus this past January expressed a desire for the College to organize J-Term activities, such as classes or social activities.

"Since we’re back on campus, it would be great to be able to take a class and get credit, do something more productive than watching TV," said Caitlin J. Rowland ’12, who stayed on campus to practice for the women’s basketball team and became a self-proclaimed "Glee addict."

House Tutors were also supportive of increasing on-campus programming during J-Term, though they also stressed the importance of relaxation time for students between busy semesters.

"Let’s present an opportunity to do something that enriches your life but is not academically oriented," said Adams House tutor Matthew J. Corriel ’05.

Adams House Master John G. "Sean" Palfrey ’67 said he hoped that faculty could also be involved in creating J-Term opportunities, including faculty-led projects and seminars.

But student group leaders remain pessimistic about the prospects of College-initiated programming next year.

"It seems unlikely given the time and resources right now," said Undergraduate Council President Johnny F. Bowman ’11. "Everyone is just assuming that we’re not going to have enough [available funds]."

And though Hammonds would not eliminate the option of College-sponsored programming, other administrators said it was unfeasible.

"In this era of budget cuts, I can’t imagine we’re going to build a whole new program on campus," said Dean of Freshmen Thomas A. Dingman ’67 in a Committee on Student Life meeting last week.

In lieu of College-supported programming, many student organizations leaders said they hoped to see an increase in the number of students allowed to stay on campus and participate in student group-initiated programming instead.

Groups such as the Phillips Brooks House Association, which offered a few public service initiatives this past January, the Institute of Politics, and peer advising groups expressed desires to lead their own activities on campus next January.

"I don’t see any argument against [student group-initiated programming]," said Mary K.B. Cox ’10, former president of the IOP Student Advisory Committee. "It wouldn’t cost the university anything except letting people stay in their own rooms and feeding them."

—Staff writer Melody Y. Hu can be reached at melodyhu@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Eric P. Newcomer can be reached at newcomer@fas.harvard.edu.

CollegeOn CampusUndergraduate CouncilHouse LifeStudent GroupsStudent LifeCollege AdministrationCollege FinanceCollege LifeJ Term