Wicked Local reported Tuesday that a fire in "a Harvard University dorm on Sunday left the building with close to $100,000 in smoke damage."
While a Faculty of Arts and Sciences spokesperson Jeff Neal said that the University has determined how much the damage would cost, he noted that the flames only damaged an electrical panel. The fire took place at 10 Akron St., at a property that contains 151 apartments that are rented out to Harvard affiliates.
"On Mar. 14, an electrical panel in the basement that controls the air conditioning system at 10 Akron Street malfunctioned and melted, emitting fumes that set off the smoke alarms. The problem was quickly resolved and the building cleared for re-occupancy. The only damage was to the electrical panel. No injuries were reported. The building is used as affiliate housing and is operated by Harvard Real Estate Services," Neal wrote in an e-mail to The Crimson.
He also said that the fire was put out with a fire extinguisher.
Photo courtesy of Jonathan Lamb/Wikimedia Commons.