Making His Way Into The Lineup

Sophomore Marcus Way was not recruited to play baseball for Harvard, but the New York native has gone on to become the Crimson’s starting designated hitter and is currently batting .306 with three homers.
By Steven T.A. Roach, Contributing Writer

When you first meet sophomore Marcus Way, you can’t help but notice his calm and quiet demeanor, but when he steps up to the plate, he’s anything but silent with the bat. Way can hang with the best of them when it comes to knocking the hide off the ball and sending it over the fence.

Not only has he proven that he’s an asset to the Crimson baseball team, but Way has also made remarkable improvements in his second year on the team. Currently, the sophomore has a .306 batting average—third highest on the team—and three home runs and 13 RBI on the season. It is not surprising, then, that he has stepped into the role as the designated hitter on the team and has gained a spot as a starter.

“He’s always been a guy we know will have a big impact on the lineup,” junior captain Tyler Albright remarked. “Every time he steps up to the plate, he hits the crap out of the ball and scores runs for us.”

But Way was not always hitting balls out of the park. He got his start in baseball at the age of two, learning from his father, Phil. While Marcus could barely walk and talk, he was already holding a baseball bat in his hands.

One aspect of Way’s game that stands out is his ability to bat left-handed and throw right-handed, a decision made by his father that has proven to be successful in his baseball career.

“Marcus has always been interested in sports,” Phil remembered. “When he was two years old, I stuck a bat in his hands and told him to bat left-handed. Left-handers have all the advantages in baseball because most of the pitchers are right-handed.”

Even though Way does not remember this specific moment in his childhood, he does look back on the time he spent playing baseball with his dad with fondness.

“I’ve been playing baseball for as long as I can remember,” Way said. “I remember playing in the yard with my dad when I was a kid and it was a lot of fun.”

Way continued to play tee ball when he was little and baseball as he became older. As the youngster's skills developed, he turned his sights on playing college ball.

“In New York [Way’s home state], we have this thing called ‘Mini Olympics,’ and I was on the baseball team for the region,” Way said. “I got a letter to go to Harvard’s baseball camp, and I went the summer after my sophomore and junior years in high school, so the coaches knew who I was.”

At the time, baseball was his passion, and going to Harvard to play at the Division I level was his dream. Although Way was not recruited by the Crimson baseball team, the Naples, N.Y. native refused to let his ambition go and walked onto the squad—proving himself in the process.

“When I first saw Marcus, I noticed his athleticism,” Harvard coach Joe Walsh commented. “He’s certainly got good bat speed, which is what separates him from other people. We had a scout day and their first remarks were about his swing and his bat speed.”

Way realized he had achieved one of his lifelong dreams the first time he entered the batter’s box.

“It was pretty cool stepping up to bat for the Crimson the first time,” Way said. “I struck out, so it was a little disappointing, but I was excited to get my first college at-bat, because it’s what I was working towards for a long time.”

Despite having only 25 at-bats last season and a .200 batting average, Way has made great strides in the offseason and has come to lead by example, slugging at a .494 clip and reaching safely often with a team-leading on-base percentage of .427.

“I think I was able to gain more confidence over the summer,” Way said. “I didn’t get a lot of at-bats last year, and it’s hard when you’re not getting in there, but I got to face a college pitcher this summer, which definitely helped my confidence.”

“He’s become more relaxed and more comfortable on the field,” Albright added. “He just needed that extra experience to get comfortable with himself and improve.”

Off the field, Way is involved in community service, a stark contrast for a player who can be seen mashing pitches at the plate. He helps with a PBHA program called Keylatch, an afterschool organization that helps students in grades K-5 in Boston’s South End with their homework. Way notes that “it’s been a rewarding experience when I’ve been able to go.”

Looking toward the future, Way hopes to either continue with the hard work he has been putting into baseball or to move toward another passion of his: medical school.

“If I had the chance to keep playing baseball, I think I would have to give it a shot,” Way said. “I’ve always found neurobiology to be interesting, so if it wasn’t baseball, it would definitely be medical school.”

“[Way’s] got a quiet demeanor, but his work ethic speaks volumes,” Walsh said. “He’s one of the guys that sticks around after practice, is always in the cages, and works hard. He’s such a quality kid, and I’m proud to have him on the baseball team.”

No matter what his pursuits, Way’s hard work and dedication will ensure that whatever opportunity faces him, he will hit it out of the park.

FeaturesBaseball