Grad Schools Snag Top Spots

U.S. News and World Report rankings show little change from last year

By Victoria L. Venegas, Contributing Writer

Harvard has maintained its place among the best graduate schools in the U.S. News and World Report’s rankings of top graduate schools, which were released late last week.

Harvard Medical School was listed as the best research medical school, Harvard Business School tied with Stanford for the top spot among business schools, and Harvard Law School once again took second place below Yale Law School.

The recently released rankings show little signs of change among the top graduate schools since last year, despite the shift in the U.S.’s financial situation.

Robin E. Mount, director of the Office of Career Services, said that although some young people may view graduate school as a way to sit out the financial crisis, students should think carefully before deciding to enroll, as graduate school is a personal experience and can cost a great deal of money.

The Harvard College Senior Survey data for the Classes of 2008 and 2009 indicates that the percentage of seniors who enrolled in graduate school right after graduation held steady at 21 percent for both class years.

While Harvard’s numbers have not changed, overall, the application process has become more competitive, according to Mount.

She said that students should choose the graduate school that is the best fit for their interests. According to Mount, there is little difference between the top schools and rankings should only play “a medium role” in one’s decision as to where to enroll.

Nworah B. Ayogu ’10, the Class of 2010’s first marshal, was accepted to several top-ranked medical schools and is currently deciding which one to attend. He said that the U.S. News rankings played a role in where he decided to apply, but he also relied on his personal experience and professors’ advice.

Ayogu said that he has been examining the resources these medical schools have to offer and whether they include his main interests: health policy and basic science.

“I didn’t want to apply to any schools that wouldn’t offer me both,” he said.

Harvard Law SchoolHarvard Business SchoolHarvard Medical School